I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Converting a dual trailer into a comfortable single

Users barely look at the "Trailer mod/projects" so I posted this here.
    I have a dual trailer. It's in great condition. I've used it as a dual as it should be used & I've also brought the middle bunks closer to one another & attached the winch from my single trailer in the middle so I can hitch one ski in the middle. Now, here's the thing. I refurbished the trailer about 19 months ago right before my ski engine went bad. I swapped from vertical bunks to horizontal bunks, I added new leaf springs & a nice paint job. Now, after it's been sitting on flat tires for those 19 months or so I want to make this a permanent single trailer by adding a nice carpeted area around the single waverunner in the middle. Below are some pics of what my trailer looks like. I've also used it with my current YAMAHA xlt but I have no pics of it carrying the xlt in the middle. I would like to do a very nice setup with black carpeting & some 2x4's maybe? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks guys.

+1
    Hi Maniac. (i had to say that) Just some food for thought. If you scroll down to a thread titled "enclosed trailer question" by vipersrock, I posted some pictures of my modified trailer. It's quickly converted from ski trailer to flat bed. I coated the plywood with garage floor epoxy. I thought about carpet but didn't want the trailer to be wet that long. It is really convenient at times to be able to stand on the trailer and walk around your ski.

OBJ

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    Thanks dude. Yeah, saw the pictures, nice conversion. I see you made it into a dual or triple purpose trailer for bikes & other things as well. SWEET! However yours seems more sealed than what I would want. I'm looking at 2 different options.
    1. Some weather resistant plywood that surrounds the ski, leaving the ski in the middle but I want the middle area to be open so that all the water falls to the floor
    2. Same scenario as above with the middle area open + maybe some 2x8's, separate them one inch apart & cover them with black carpet. This would leave a one inch gap inbetween the boards so that water drains down rapidly.
    Check out the picture below. This is pretty much an idea of what I want. Now the question is, how can I secure the boards to the trailer? Have any of you done this type of project?

+1
    Thanks for the qudoos maniac. The part of your idea (open in the middle) that I like about your proposal is that you can get to your intake grate area without sliding the ski back. As far as the water draining off fast, by the time I pull up the launch ramp and to an area to wipe my ski down, the trailer surface is barely damp. Colorado river area, 100 d. and 0% humidity.
    O.K, for your design, i'm lost on the 2x8s, but as far as mounting the plywood, I think you would have to do as I did and weld in some c-channel running front to back connecting your cross members together so you will have support for your plywood. I would suggest that you finish off any exposed plywood edges with thin gauge angle aluminum. It gives a nice finished look, protects the plywood edge, and would also help keep your carpet edge from fraying, and comming un-glued. Because of the manufacturers design of my trailer, when I modified it, the only plywood edge that was exposed was at the very back.
    Oh, fyi. Stainless everything. Fender washers on top, and lock nuts on the under-side.I used allen head bolts, they look sharp Imo. Buy your stainless hardware in boxes of 100 at a supply store (not Home depot); Also get a cobalt drill bit, your'e going to be drilling alot of holes; and last thing I can think of is a can of "cold galvanizing compound" it's spray paint that is super rich in zinc. Spray all those holes your'e going to drill, and any weld joints that you might do. Sorry for the ramble. Good luck.

OBJ

Thread Information