Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Project X

Project X

i was siting down one day and i noticed that i had an old XL700 hull(no engine) just lying around doing nothing and i was thinking.... Could i make a Street Bike engine (with gears and all) fit and work inside this hull... I want to do it but i have no clue where to start....... i know i will have to remake the engine mounts ............anyone got any ideas/tips

any input would be great thanks

Re: Project X

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    i was siting down one day and i noticed that i had an old XL700 hull(no engine) just lying around doing nothing and i was thinking.... Could i make a Street Bike engine (with gears and all) fit and work inside this hull... I want to do it but i have no clue where to start....... i know i will have to remake the engine mounts ............anyone got any ideas/tips

any input would be great thanks
    That would be one FAST ski.

+1

+1
    I have a zx-6 motor sitting around

Do it for fun. Never build something like that to save money........... I stopped counting at $13,000 on my Raider R3 prodject

+1
    How would you ever get a bike motor to fit?? Sitting sideways that thing is a lot wider that a stock 1300 motor and you would have to build another gear box to adapt it to your driveline. then you have to worry about how to shift it (maybee air shifters) I would love to try a project like this myself but I would want to use a stxr hull.

There are some really great informational posts on the Riva forums I think about pump tunnel efficiency and max RPMs. If you're serious about this project I'd definitely dredge that info up. I think it's generally agreed that pump tunnels loose their efficiency when you get much over 8200 or 8300 rpms. I'm not running a tripple pipe set up though and those are the guys to talk to about high RPMs. Keep us posted.

+1
    If you think about it, our ski's are already putting out over 160+ hp in stock trim, not alot of streetbikes do that stock! I'm surprised more people aren't using nitrous on their ski's...

Every so often an over enthusiast brings up Nitrous. The reply from all of the gurus is always the same, "BOOM". Apparently, it's just not a good idea.

+1
    I wonder why? you could make sure it has plenty of fuel through the carbs jetting... run colder plugs... I bet using the MSD ignition you could rig up some sort of timing retard... only run race gas when on the bottle... I don't see why it wouldn't work? Hell NX even makes nitrous kits for gas RC cars these days!

Hmmm.... does the rev limiter have a fuel cut built in? If so I could see that is an issue... get air or get unhooked and bounce of the rev limiter and into fuel cutoff and you have nitrous but no fuel and a big boom...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information