Thread: Old gas ??

Old gas ??

I started my ski today for the first time in a few months, It has a full tank of gas that has been there for quite some time. At first it didnt want to start , but after it fired up, I let it idle and the motor was sputtering a bit. After about a minute, Everything seemed to be normal. I revved it up a few times and it sounded right. Should I remove this old gas ? Or should I just ride it out as long as I dont go holding WOT for long periods ?

Quote Originally Posted by MIARider View Post
    I started my ski today for the first time in a few months, It has a full tank of gas that has been there for quite some time. At first it didnt want to start , but after it fired up, I let it idle and the motor was sputtering a bit. After about a minute, Everything seemed to be normal. I revved it up a few times and it sounded right. Should I remove this old gas ? Or should I just ride it out as long as I dont go holding WOT for long periods ?
    Run the gas down to half way, run the ski easy. Fill up half the tank with fresh gas. You should be fine. Maybe change the plugs.

+1
    I would pump out five gallons and put that in your truck, and then top the ski up with av gas to raise the octane. I do this every spring with my outboard and my RXP. AV gas is rated at 100-110 octane and is usualy just a dollar more per gallon then premium. Just a note. AV gas is low lead, so you wouldn't want to get that mix into your truck.

OBJ

+1
    The funny thing about old gas...

The lighter components evaporate out over time. The lighter components are what helps cold starting and raises octane, but the energy content is lower than the heavier components.

The result? Worse cold-starting, lower octane, but more power!

Doesnt anyone run fuel stabilizer in there tanks last run of the season, That way it starts every spring, Going out as soon as the weather gets warm.

+1
    I use sta-bil fuel stabilizer marine formula in my fuel tank and never had any problems with fuel sitting...helps with the ethenol from not breaking down as well

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    The funny thing about old gas...

The lighter components evaporate out over time. The lighter components are what helps cold starting and raises octane, but the energy content is lower than the heavier components.

The result? Worse cold-starting, lower octane, but more power!
    it may make more power, but if the octane is too low the power is going to drop dramatically if it grenades a piston. real common to see a bunch of fried two-stroke pistons in the spring after the first ride on last seasons gas. I know some moto x racers that won't use 10 day old pump gas because they've learned the octane loss will pop the motor.

Thread Information