Exclamation 1996 SeaDoo GTI electrical question

Recently picked up a couple of 1996 SeaDoo GTI’s. (717 engines.) However, one of them has an electrical problem. The moment the battery is connected it tries to crank. It does this even without the DESS lanyard on the post and without pressing the “start” button…. so the engine just spins and does not actually start up. All is stock on this ski with no aftermarket parts at all.

I'm looking for trouble shooting ideas. Is the problem with the starter motor itself? I just want to rule out easy stuff before trying to get to hard to reach starter motor.

sounds like your starter relay is faulty

Was it the relay?

Quote Originally Posted by DKFox View Post
    Recently picked up a couple of 1996 SeaDoo GTI’s. (717 engines.) However, one of them has an electrical problem. The moment the battery is connected it tries to crank. It does this even without the DESS lanyard on the post and without pressing the “start” button…. so the engine just spins and does not actually start up. All is stock on this ski with no aftermarket parts at all.

I'm looking for trouble shooting ideas. Is the problem with the starter motor itself? I just want to rule out easy stuff before trying to get to hard to reach starter motor.

I'm having the exact same issue but I'm being told to replace the CDI. Obviously that costs $$$ more so I'm trying to figure which way to go.

sounds to me like you have a fualty starter solinoid the contacts inside may be fused together start there if it is fine you may have a short circut some where eles. I had a fualty VTS box that when you connected the battery made the starter motor spin slowly

Thread Information