Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Another newby with questions

Hi all, I have been out of the jet ski game for about 5 years after being very heavily into it with 2 heavily modded skis that I loved. My 16 year old stepson has been laying a big guilt trip on me as to how I got rid of the skis right before he was old enough to be able to take them out alone. I gave serious thought to picking one up just to give him the experience of one while he is in high school, and I will have the power to teach him how to enjoy them properly and safely.

I ran across a deal I felt was too good to pass up. It is nowhere near what I had before (99XLL with just about every Riva aftermarket/performance part that was available)but I was thinking it would be a good enough ski to serve the purpose I wanted it for. I have way too many interests now to just focus on a ski, so I did not want to have a lot of money into it. I got a 98 SLTH with 37 hours on it, a loadrite trailer, OEM cover, and 2 Polaris vests for $850.00.

It has not seen the water in 2 years, and by the hours, it has not seen the water much at all. It will not start unless you pour gas/oil into carbs, but when you do that it fires immediately and runs until that gas is gone. I am assuming I need to do a carb rebuild to correct this problem?

I have been surfing around trying to learn all I can about this ski, and I am starting to see some red flags. For instance I see all kinds of aftermarket stuff for 650, 750, 780, etc., but almost NOTHING for the 700. Did I just buy a brick that I am going to have major problems with? What is the reputation for this motor, and are there any wake mods I can do to it without winding it up to its limits?

Any comments, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3nf3oc3p8ZZZZZZZZZ93v4625fa2e08851630.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	125465  

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

I would go through the carbs and fuel system replace all the fuel lines and make sure the fuel selector switch is working.

ya i would go thru the carbs , change the fuel line , inspect the filters ,

make sure the oil pump still work ,

i would recommend makeing sure the pulse lines are in good condition also ,

we love more pictures if you got em

700 in a 3 seater is just a cruiser , but if you want more juice i would install a get a different ride plate , maybe a wedge and grate change just depends on what kinda rideing or water it will incounter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone1050 View Post
    ya i would go thru the carbs , change the fuel line , inspect the filters ,

make sure the oil pump still work ,

i would recommend makeing sure the pulse lines are in good condition also ,

we love more pictures if you got em

700 in a 3 seater is just a cruiser , but if you want more juice i would install a get a different ride plate , maybe a wedge and grate change just depends on what kinda rideing or water it will incounter
    Good solid advice, thanks guys! I did oil pump block offs on my other skis, I just had too much money in those motors to count on a little plastic pump. Do you recommend the same for the 700 motor, or are the pumps reliable?

I sent the carbs on my Yamaha out when I built it, but will be doing these carbs myself (strickly a stock rebuild) What are the "pulse lines" where are they, what is their function, and what do I need to check for?

Riding will be on lakes and large river. Tell me, are the stock ride plates a weak link on this model? If so, what is recommended plate? I ran scoop grates on my old skis, what works well on these? Have not heard of "wedges", is this something specific to Polaris? What is it, and what is its function?

I think the reason your not finding alot of aftermarket support for the 700 is because thats a twin, and the aftermarket support lies mostly with the triples in the polaris sector. (As far as motor mods)

Thats not to say its not a reliable motor by any means. Basically what you have there is the US 1050 motor, just without the 3rd cylinder. I think your model may already have an extended ride plate/pump but if not, getting an extended ride plate and prop should get you a little faster and more controlled.

A wedge is a metal ring that you place in the pump setup. It diverts the water up instead of straight out and should add some pep to the machine as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    Good solid advice, thanks guys! I did oil pump block offs on my other skis, I just had too much money in those motors to count on a little plastic pump. Do you recommend the same for the 700 motor, or are the pumps reliable?

I sent the carbs on my Yamaha out when I built it, but will be doing these carbs myself (strickly a stock rebuild) What are the "pulse lines" where are they, what is their function, and what do I need to check for?

Riding will be on lakes and large river. Tell me, are the stock ride plates a weak link on this model? If so, what is recommended plate? I ran scoop grates on my old skis, what works well on these? Have not heard of "wedges", is this something specific to Polaris? What is it, and what is its function?
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Polaris Service manuals, and other useful info.

The Polaris red 'domestic' twin cylinder engine is considered very reliable, very economical on fuel, as reasonable power output.

It will be worth your while to read up (or have your step son do some reading ) on these GreenHulk forums and links. There is a lot of good info.

As with any 2-stroke, the carbs and fuel system must be 100% in order to avoid engine damage from lean burn. Old gasoline degrades, so you should consider draining the tank at the same time you replace all the fuel lines.

The pulse line is a hose connecting the crank case chamber to the fuel pump. The fuel pump works using the compression pulses from the crank case.

There have been a few service bulletins that may affect your machine. Detailed info is available in the linked web pages.

+1
    I have been reading, and I must say I am impressed with what I have seen here. I have also looked at a few other forums, and this one is my favorite from what I have seen. I was well known on the Riva forum in my days in the past, but I have no plans to dive into this one anywhere near as much. Then again, I can't seem to keep my hands off anything I buy! I just got done converting a 1993 Nissan 240sx convertible from auto trans to a 5 speed.

I have all ready downloaded the mauals, but I would like to find an owners manual for the ski if anybody knows where a download might be?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    ...I have all ready downloaded the manuals, but I would like to find an owners manual for the ski if anybody knows where a download might be?
    Polaris PWC Owner's manuals are hard to find, especially in downloadable PDF format.

If you find any, paper or electronic, let me know

BTW, even though your SLTH is a 1998 model - for some things you may find the 1999, or 2000 Service manuals to have additional info that also applies to your 1998 SLTH.

Models that are very similar to your '98 SLTH include;
    1996 SLT700, SL700 (80HP)
    1997 SLT700, SL700 (80HP)
    1998 SLH (95HP)
    1999 SLTH, SLH (95HP)
    2000 SLH (95HP)
    2001 SLH (95HP)

In Polaris PWC model naming, the T in SLTH means three seater, and an X means a high(er) performance model.
    SL means 2 seater, and H means base model (for that model year).

The older 650, 750, and 780 models used Fuji three cylinder engines (painted blue). Polaris started using their own 'domestic' red engines in 1996, two and three cylinder versions.

+1
    Thanks K447, you guys are awesome!!! This is just the kind of stuff I was looking for!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk BiXLL.

The 700 is a good reliable engine, just not the fastest. There are typical mods that can be done, like:

Aftermarket reeds

Aftermarket Flame Arrestors

Higher compression heads

performance waterboxes

etc......

Take a look at the Hot Seat website and see what they have to offer for you.

The pump wedges are jet pump spacer that changes the drgree of the exit nozzle. Usually adds top speed with no engine mods required.

Common parts replaced with A/M are the ride plates and intake grates. They can gain you a little more speed, but much better handling in most cases. And don't cost too much to do.

Ocean Pro ride plates are the preferred plate of choice by most on here.

And the R&D intake grate is a scoop type, that helps heep the ski hooked up pretty well.

As for the carbs. It may take a while to get fuel from the tank to the carbs if it sat for such a long time. Primers instead of chokes help this issue.

Definately replace all the fuel hoses since they are cheap and can cause a major piston problem if the carbs run lean. Some grey fuel hoses seem to form a green colored goo inside of them plugging up the filters.

I've read the oil pumps are quite reliable, but I run premix and oil pump block offs myself. Just to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information