Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Modding ultra150, need help.

I have parts for my ultra 150, that have been sitting since I bought my ultra last year. The parts include blackjack 48s, ada, and R&D heads, aggressor sponsons, vforce reeds. My question is how hard is installation? Will these harm my engine? Do I have to change my heads or can I just put the carbs, sponsons, and reeds in? I had triple pipes but sold them because they said there constant headache. And what kind of speeds can I see once there on? I am getting 68.7-69.1mph flat glass water speeds now. It is a 99 ultra 150. PLEASE HELP! , thanks for all and any replies!!

+1
    Really good numbers for I assume a stock ultra...?

The carbs definalty help the bottom end hit and mid while providing more rpm's. stock is about 7050 +or - some and the carbs should add 100rpm. reeds probably not a whole lot maybe another 50 rpm with better throttle response. And the heads will help the bottom as well.

I would only install one item at a time to track what it does. A good tach like a commercial tiny helps with tunning.

I assume with the bolt on's and the numbers you have now should put you just above 70 maybe a little more. Which would make you have one of the fastest ultra single pipe's around.

Like I said only one at a time...to see what each gains and to help with tunning and prevent problems.

You will need aftermarket manifolds to add the carbs. I would do those first. Then the heads then maybe a stinger mod.

You could do carbs and reeds as a package but like said before get the tach and get your baseline numbers like average rpm's at wot and average top speed's.

Then start adding stuff. Since you have 2 sets of heads sell one for some cash to get the other parts needed.

Others will also have info once they see the thread.

Thanks for the info....right now it has R&D extender plate, inland jetsports waterbox, solas impeller. Which heads would you keep, ada, or R&D? And I have the manifold for the carbs, which I assume is what bolts the carbs to the motor?? I'm a little new to this watercraft performance, I'm a snowmobile guy, and these watercraft seem a little dicey to work on..........I was assuming it was bolt on carbs heads and reeds, with a little tweaking......what is a stinger mod? thanks

+1
    The stinger mod is a mod that dries out the water box then adds water @3000 rpm and above. This mod is for bottom end while some have also reported a small gain in top rpm.

Not sure about your waterbox though. Never seen the inland one.

If your a snowmobile guy and can work on those then these are not much differant. The reason for adding one item at a time is to make sure one does not cause a problem. If all where added and you blew a piston for some reason you would know from the mod added. All in all these are simple mods and common but thats just how I like to do it that way I know what each is doing and I get the most out of each.

The reason to add the carbs first is because you will need more fuel once the heads are added and a higher octane. Which heads do you have as far as CC. 40cc 42cc...
    This will also determine if race fuel will be needed. 42cc is what ya want for 91/92 octane pump fuel.

The manifolds will bolt up first and then carbs to those.

Once those are bolted up some tunning help will be needed. Unless someone has set you up with the jetting already.

All in all it's not to hard and with the help on this site we can pretty much do everything over the pc with info and pics from you which help.

I have a ton of pics on my links posted on my sig. Which show alot of carbs being mounted up to aftermarket maifolds and other things. As the stxr/ultra 150 share the same motor.

Others on here have hull and pump mods done to the ultra to help you out there as the stxr is differant in that department and dont share the same pump or hull parts.

So take a look at some of the pics as they really help explain things. On my stxr pics at the bottom of this post it should be highlighted and if you go to the projects link and look at Jonny5's stxr project you'll see pics of the carbs and manifolds being bolted up.

Hope this helps to get ya started and just keep replying back and we will help ya out and see if that thing will go over 70

I would keep the ada head since it has seperate domes. That way if you damage one or upgrade later you can replace just the domes. The carbs and reeds will probably get you over 70. You are getting some strong #s for what you have now. Put those sponsons in the fartherest up and back position to start out. Unless those carbs have been run on a single pipe ultra you will need to change the jetting but thats no big deal.

Ok guys, thanks for the help, I am going to get the parts out monday, and take pics of them and post them to this thread, to get started.......Are the carbs going to be bolt on and hook to the same fuel and oil lines as the cvs? Is there anything else I have to purchase to make this complete, besides gaskets? I am looking and the fuel pump looks like its attached to the carbs, do I have to buy another fuel pump? Sorry for all the questions but I want to be ahead of the game and be ready for next step as when you guys are helping me mod this thing. I'm glad to hear they are about the same to work on like a sled. I will post pic of my ski stock today to start. Thanks again guys, I'm ready to see what this thing will do once its done!!!

starting photos.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1315.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	125628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1316.JPG 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	125629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1319.JPG 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	125630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1318.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1,000.1 KB 
ID:	125631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1317.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	125632  

You will probably need 2 pumps. Once you post the pics of what you got then we can tell you more about what you need to get.

Ok guys heres the pics of the carbs and the ada head, and dome, want to run pump gas, so the marking on the dome reads:KU1540. Carbs have been sitting for year, so I might have to clean them up a little...Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	126011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1322.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	126012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1323.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	126013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1324.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	126014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1325.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	126015  

+1
    I would take apart the carbs and clean them and get new fuel line. Also this way we can see what jetting is in them.

If you look on the top side of the dome it reads the Ku1540 number or is there another number that reads 42cc or 44 cc

I assume the 1540 are 40cc domes which will put you right out of pump gas and neading more of a 50/50 about 95to 98 octane if those are 40cc domes.

The Jet plate side of the carbs is the diamond side ...this contains the Needle and seat your pop off spring and your high and low speed jets. Or mains and pilots.

The square side being the pump side has the filter in it which once in a great while but rarely you might plug one but almost every one has a external inline fuel filter.

Take those apart as well and clean and check. Only do one side at a time so not to get confused but are really not to bad.

The Jets have numbers on them. The mains will be right on top and dont need to be removed to find out what they are. The pilots do need to be removed to see what size they are. The needle and seat comes out with the one screw that holds the U retainer in and under that ....."the brass thing being the seat" And shiny pointy thing being the needle. Under the seat is a number. 2.0 2.3 2.5 or even a 1.5 but thats a little small for 48's.

This will also need to be known along with a pic of the spring which is your pop off spring. Should be gold..dull silver sort of black or gray and shiny silver.

Once the carbs are gone thru and we have some jetting to go with then we can help ya get the carbs bolted and hooked up which will be a little more work because of the setup.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information