Thread: MFD issue...

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

MFD issue...

I charged up my battery today and after I hook everything back up, the red light is solid on the MFD and the buttons don't work. The ski turns over and runs but the MFD still doesn't do anything and has the solid red light. Any ideas?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    I charged up my battery today and after I hook everything back up, the red light is solid on the MFD and the buttons don't work. The ski turns over and runs but the MFD still doesn't do anything and has the solid red light. Any ideas?
    sometimes when connecting a batt you need to attach the wires with 1 good contact (never letting the contact break),then tighten,,,
    i would just pull the display and unplug it for 1 min then try
    mattman

+1
    I'll leave it overnight unplugged and see how it is tomorrow. I hope I didn't fry anything because I was a dummy and forgot to unhook one of the power leads while charging...

+1
    hyoctane, when are you going to make another youtube vedio? I hope to do one of my pro when its done!! Mis the one they took off with the tunes I hope too get my mine to run like that someday

+1
    KEYZBUM whats going on!!!!!!! Thing are coming along on the pro. I just keep doing more details and trying to make perfect, Wich will not happen. Thanks again for the nozzel and decals God Bless Man!!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You can try the MFD reset procedure if unhooking it didn't work. Instructions are listed in the tech section.

It's usually a good idea to unhook the MFD when connecting/disconnecting battery. The voltage spikes can damage the unit or fry the 1/4 amp fuse.

+1
    I tried it again this morning and still no luck. Then I put my other battery in from the other ski and everything is fine! It still confuses me because the bad battery still had enough juice to start and run the ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    I tried it again this morning and still no luck. Then I put my other battery in from the other ski and everything is fine! It still confuses me because the bad battery still had enough juice to start and run the ski.
    Was the MFD hooked up to the ski while you changed the battery?

What Polaris model/year was this in?
    Oval or round MFD?

Sometimes, when changing the battery, the inevitable 'contact bouncing' during the battery cable re-connecting can cause short duration, random 'voltage spikes' in the electrical system.

Those voltage spikes are suspected of causing some MFD to reset engine hours to zero, or even cause MFD to 'go crazy', or act half-dead.

Sounds like your MFD was in a strange internal state, and my initial suspicion is that when you installed the other battery, the contact bouncing was just right to jolt/reset the MFD.

Next idea; the MFD was disconnected from the battery for enough hours that it was able to fully power down internally, and be ready to properly 'boot up'. It takes a couple of hours or longer for the MFD's internal power to drain off.

Third idea; one of the wire connections in your Polaris is not 100%, especially a ground connection in the electrical box, engine block ground, or electrical stator ground.

Tip - When connecting or disconnecting a battery in a Polaris that has an MFD, first unplug the MFD from its back panel connector, then do the battery work.

Reconnect the MFD plug only after the battery cables are re-attached and tightened.

+1
    I'll keep that all in mind but like I said, it was the battery itself that was bad.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    ditto....mine (mfd) was acting up last year and the reset was the only thing that got it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    You can try the MFD reset procedure if unhooking it didn't work. Instructions are listed in the tech section.

It's usually a good idea to unhook the MFD when connecting/disconnecting battery. The voltage spikes can damage the unit or fry the 1/4 amp fuse.

Thread Information