'98 XP Ltd Ques.

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while. Anyhow I just picked up a '98 XP Ltd. And I'd like to get some info. on it. Either performance tips or just general knowlage that I should know about this particular ski. It has a fresh motor, solas prop and an intake grate. But thats all I really know about it. Thanks

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Make sure all the fuel lines are replaced. I'd disassemble the carbs and clean the filter screens too. Check the pipe support bushings, they can get worn and allow the pipe to move and start a leak between the manifold and headpipe gasket.

The grate is really overkill, because very few boats can beat this one in rough chop.

Good luck with your new ride!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Make sure all the fuel lines are replaced. I'd disassemble the carbs and clean the filter screens too. Check the pipe support bushings, they can get worn and allow the pipe to move and start a leak between the manifold and headpipe gasket.

The grate is really overkill, because very few boats can beat this one in rough chop.

Good luck with your new ride!

All good info...I'm working on replacing my fuel lines this weekend as a matter of fact...its mid 40's and rainy here in Ohio, so I'm obviously not gonna ride...

Dont forget to check out BEN'S MODS for an all inclusive 951 mod list

Thanks guys, Everything is fresh as far as I can tell. It had a blown motor and the guy I got it from put a re-man. in it. I put it in the lake when I got it home and it was running real lethargic. I figure it was fouled plugs cuz he said he mixed ti 32:1 since it was new. I'm gonna mix up some 40:1 and stick some new plugs in it. I'm sure that'll straighten it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tall1 View Post
    Thanks guys, Everything is fresh as far as I can tell. It had a blown motor and the guy I got it from put a re-man. in it. I put it in the lake when I got it home and it was running real lethargic. I figure it was fouled plugs cuz he said he mixed ti 32:1 since it was new. I'm gonna mix up some 40:1 and stick some new plugs in it. I'm sure that'll straighten it out.
    I'm not. When it doesn't...pull the carbs and clean them.

I'm not. When it doesn't...pull the carbs and clean them.
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    +1
    +2

I talked to the guy I got it from and he said he didn't go through the carbs. So can I just clean them or should I put kits in them? Also, what should the compression be at? I've got about 135#.

They shouldn't need kits. Make sure you disassemble the accelerator pump diaphram assembly too, and spray carb cleaner throuugh the small orifices. The fuel varnishes when it sits, and clogs these small holes. When clogged, the ski hesitates off-idle and just falls on it's face. If you want crisp acceleration, take the time to doo this.

Hopefully all the fuel lines have been replaced too?

They shouldn't need kits. Make sure you disassemble the acceleator pump diaphram assembly too, and spray carb cleaner throuugh the small orifices. The fuel varnishes when it sits, and clogs these small holes. When clogged, the ski hesitates off-idle and just falls on it's face. If you want crisp acceleration, take the time to doo this.

Hopefully all the fuel lines have been replaced too?
    the rx i just bought sat for two years, the screw that holds the needle and seat in place is not stainless and is probably rusted out, thats what the deal was with mine, the seat was clogged with rust.

Thread Information