Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 xp wont go anywhere in the water

My friend has a 96 xp it runs and sounds great out of the water when we put it in the water it is hard to start we have to get the pump out of the water to get it to start then when it starts its like its running very rich and when we try to ride it. it will not barly go above idle and will only run when you hold it full throttle but will still only barly idle the compression is 150 psi and the carb jetts are 142 highs and 70 lows and the needle and seat is 1.5 the carb settings are at 1 1/2 for the lows and the front carb high speed screw is at 1/4 out and the rear is at a 1/2 because im running air filters is there anything I can check to fix this problem
    thanks guys

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If it's flooding he has a needle and seat sticking open. I'd replace the needle and seats and make sure the filter screens are clean. Are his fuel lines replaced? Did he remove the selector switch and clean the inside of that too?

Yes the carbs are clean it has all new fuel lines and a brand new fuel selector so maybe its the needle and seat ?

Quote Originally Posted by XP537 View Post
    Yes the carbs are clean it has all new fuel lines and a brand new fuel selector so maybe its the needle and seat ?

Hi
    how old is the battery,as its easier to start out of the water than in it

Its a new battery

Yes, excessive fuel is a leaking needle and seat.

Good info, I have a fried with an HX having the exact same trouble. I will help him re-build the carbs properly. I think his "mechanic" sucks, put in a new motor and nothing but trouble since.

we rode the ski today it runs great but when we shut it off and it sits for a few mintues it will start but I had to hold the throttle wide open and it was just idleing again like it was loaded up on fuel so I shut the fuel off and as it burned most of the fuel it ran good the we turned the fuel back on and and it runs great again so now what does it sound like the problem is ? we switched the needle and seats out to 2.0 since we put filters on the carbs
    thanks again

we rode the ski today it runs great but when we shut it off and it sits for a few mintues it will start but I had to hold the throttle wide open and it was just idleing again like it was loaded up on fuel so I shut the fuel off and as it burned most of the fuel it ran good the we turned the fuel back on and and it runs great again so now what does it sound like the problem is ? we switched the needle and seats out to 2.0 since we put filters on the carbs
    thanks again
    Dude...read your post. What are you saying? You rode it wthout changing the needle and seats? Or you changed them to the 2.0's prior to today's ride? I can't make heads or tails of it.

we changed the needles an seats prior to today but they we from another set of carbs they were not new

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information