Thread: New to the GP's

New to the GP's

hey guys well i had a GP1200 years ago and went a few years without a ski.. i picked up a 2000 GP1200R last season the ski is completly stock.
    my ? is it seems like my 98 GP1200 was faster or more responsive..
    so thats what i want to fix about this ski..
    any suggestions would be great.. impellers brands, sizes, intake grates, cones.. im not looking to make this ski a rocket just help it a little on take off and get it just over 70+ mph mark.. thanks

Moderated
    i recommend you start by reading this first

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51546

you also need to work out what sort of condition the motor is in by checking compression etc...maybe take some pics inside and out and post them in this thread. if its got low comp it would explain the poor performance.

how many hours are on it etc......

what else can you tell us about the ski, the more you can tell us the more helpful we can be.

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    welcome to the board.

i recommend you start by reading this first

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51546

you also need to work out what sort of condition the motor is in by checking compression etc...maybe take some pics inside and out and post them in this thread. if its got low comp it would explain the poor performance.

how many hours are on it etc......

what else can you tell us about the ski, the more you can tell us the more helpful we can be.

ill check the hr. meter in the am .. also get some more pics.. the compression is 120 on all three.

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Not to mention the GP is a lighter hull than the GPR...

+1
    A stock GP has good low end power a stock GPR is a dog out of the hole.
    Start moding it comp and a prop is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    A stock GP has good low end power a stock GPR is a dog out of the hole.
    Start moding it comp and a prop is a good place to start.

ok.. i dont want to do to much to it id like to block off the oil injection and premix it. you think with a diffrent prop i can make it comparable?
    i know nothing about props. that kinda disapoints me that the 98 GP is more responsive and lighter then the GPR. i agree i feel like its a dog out of the hole.. any suggestions on what prop to put? id like more out of the hole and more top speed is that possible or it one or the other??

oh yea and the ski has 126.9 hrs. on it..

whare do you camp??

+1
    I have not played with a gpr yet but they are great for top end the gp is great on the low end
    I rode a stock gp1200r and as long as I kept it over 30mph it was a good ride.
    If it was me I think I would go for more speed
    More comp will spin a bigger prop so you go faster if you up comp more then you can potentialy gain low and high end power.

+1
    Talk to WFO he has the GPR down he will know excactly what you need to do

Moderated
    with 120 hours on it its going to need a top end rebuild soon, you may be able to get another 80 odd hours out of it but eventually you will have to rebuild it.

when you get to that point mill the head for higher compression and get a set of vf3 reeds, efi controller and a 14/20 DF prop, also look into the hull mods as a ride plate from jim, r&d 1200 grate and sealed pump shoe are all MUST DO items, just be very careful sealing your pump ( do serious research on this are as its very important its done right)

those mods should get you to 70-73mph with much better holeshot.

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    with 120 hours on it its going to need a top end rebuild soon, you may be able to get another 80 odd hours out of it but eventually you will have to rebuild it.

when you get to that point mill the head for higher compression and get a set of vf3 reeds, efi controller and a 14/20 DF prop, also look into the hull mods as a ride plate from jim, r&d 1200 grate and sealed pump shoe are all MUST DO items, just be very careful sealing your pump ( do serious research on this are as its very important its done right)

those mods should get you to 70-73mph with much better holeshot.

i got ya.. its pretty much like my quad..lol without having the rebuild on it and running it the way it is now can i put a diffrent prop that will help?
    ok r&d grate i remember reading awhile back about using GP800 intake grate or does that just sound crazy.. Jims plate ive heard that alot i will look into that as well.. sealing pump shoe?? i will use the search function on that.. but without having any work done to the heads and upgrading the reeds can i still use that prop 14/20 DF prop? or is that to much prop?
    thank guys for dealing with another noob id like to stay a part of this community and maybe link up with some of you central florida ridders..

Thread Information