Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question Supercharger sprag clutch bearing?

Just a thought a sprag clutch bearing like the one used in a supercharger is a one way bearing that spins free and lockes up the other way to allow rotation to free wheel in one rotation and not the other. This is usualy a roller bearing that are oval shaped and cause a binding ( Friction) agenst the outter and inner race which lock them together and will allow rotation one way only. If you use some type of synthetic oil that has a lot of friction reducing agents in it OR add friction reducing addatives to your oil then they just might cause the rollers to NOT grab aginst the inner/outter race and cause the sc sprag clutch to slip in both directions! My experence with such devices that use friction to lock oneway devices together is these oil's and addatives do not work good as just good quality oil. Quote from Koyo web site " Do not use a lube contaning extream-pressure addatives, since they degrade the friction coefficency and effect the engaugement of the sprag"On my ski I am only using the mfg. oil in it! from Koyo web site:http://www.koyousa.com/brochures/pdf...20Clutches.pdf some good info for you guys on how they work. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Just a thought a sprag clutch bearing like the one used in a supercharger is a one way bearing that spins free and lockes up the other way to allow rotation to free wheel in one rotation and not the other. This is usualy a roller bearing that are oval shaped and cause a binding ( Friction) agenst the outter and inner race which lock them together and will allow rotation one way only. If you use some type of synthetic oil that has a lot of friction reducing agents in it OR add friction reducing addatives to your oil then they just might cause the rollers to NOT grab aginst the inner/outter race and cause the sc sprag clutch to slip in both directions! My experence with such devices that use friction to lock oneway devices together is these oil's and addatives do not work good as just good quality oil. Quote from Koyo web site " Do not use a lube contaning extream-pressure addatives, since they degrade the friction coefficency and effect the engaugement of the sprag"On my ski I am only using the mfg. oil in it! from Koyo web site:http://www.koyousa.com/brochures/pdf...20Clutches.pdf some good info for you guys on how they work. Tommy Jordan
    So Tommy you are talking about engine oil then right, because it is lubricating the charger?

Jim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack View Post
    So Tommy you are talking about engine oil then right, because it is lubricating the charger?

Jim
    Yes engine oil!

+1
    Is the SC assembly self-lubricating or manual?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
    so what are you saying - dont use mobile 1 - 0-40 as its to thin
    All I am saying is that some oils are not good to use with engines that have sprag type clutch bearings lubricated by the engine oil. This quote is from Koyo bearing co. "Do not use a lube contaning extream-pressure addatives, since they degrade the friction coefficency and effect the engaugement of the sprag clutch bearings" I am not sure mobile one has extream-pressure addatives in it or not. I know there are oils out there that do have this addative in them, Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnta View Post
    Is the SC assembly self-lubricating or manual?
    The sprag SC bearing is lubricated by the engine oil. Tommy Jordan

Moderated
    good info tommy, thanks for sharing.

it makes perfect sense though yet at the same time its sooo easy to overlook and pay the price.

Anyone know if AmsOil 10w-40 marine oil is OK for the SHO motor or not? Haven't used it yet but I have a case of it on my shelf ready to go in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    Anyone know if AmsOil 10w-40 marine oil is OK for the SHO motor or not? Haven't used it yet but I have a case of it on my shelf ready to go in.
    Me too and I'm not throwing it in till this one's answered. Riding in the same exact boat!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    I sent a PM already to 800AMSOIL. Hope he will chime in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information