Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Heads up on using Copper spray

Just about every single gasket surface on my ski is pitted and corroded. Heads, cylinders, exhaust manifold, stinger where it breaks apart for the D plate, etc. Not surprising since it's an '02, but geez.

Been reading up on the use of copper spray, which I use to use religiously. According to the manufacturer, it's supposed to help prevent galvanic pitting on aluminum gasket surfaces - which would apply to us. On this rebuild, I plan on using it on everything. Hopefully it will prevent any further corrosion, because I don't think the mating surfaces can undergo another round of corrosion in the coming years.

Any thoughts?

+1
    Personally I would get all new gaskets and use them dry per Yamaha's instructions. That's what I've always done, but I don't ride in salt water very often. I don't think it's that unusual to have some corrosion on mating surfaces. It's easily removed.

+1
    Never said I was reusing gaskets - my thought was using copper spray to prevent it from happening again.

If you think removing corrosion is easy, you haven't done it on the scale I'm talking about. There's mineral scale everywhere. Every bolt, every gasket surface, every water passage. So much for Salt Away being effective.

+1
    I used to use copper coat on my gpr tripple piper.... Never had a pitting problem

5. +1 by:

+1
    I use Copper Spray on the exhaust gaskets, the exhaust outlet thru the hull, vf3 gaskets (really difficult to get off afterwards) balancer plate gaskets and have used it to reuse head gaskets and have never had a problem or a leak... I know I know... I only reuse head gaskets once if the black coating is still intact.. but again Ive never had a problem or a leak with copper spray... Just dont spray it by your ski or you'll have a really wacked flip flop over spray paint job only vissible in the sun

+1
    Thanks for the input.

Inkaddict - that gives me an idea. Been thinking about some bling upgrades lately. Maybe a killer blue metal flake paint job just like a bass boat!

I use copper gasket spray on all copper or metal gaskets. I ALWAYS use 1211 on any paper or oem base gasket. I always had leaks before I did this. Everyone always told me to never use 1211 on paper. Now I use 1211 on all paper base gaskets, copper spray on all metal/copper gaskets, and grease on other gaskets PERIOD.

I haven`t tried the copper spray yet, but have recently installed the head gasket and cometic gaskets for the VF3`s using waterproof grease, so far so good...

+1
    Must be a salt water thing, neither my 2002 or 2000 have any pitting

+1
    I used to use the copper coat. After a few teardowns, I found the copper coat was gumming up in the cooling ports. I just use grease on the gaskets now.

I have used spray Hylomar too, but it is thicker than copper coat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information