Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

On Board Camera Mount

I have always wanted an easy way to put a camera on my RXT and while doing a bunch of mods this past week I came up with this idea. What it is is a knock off Gorilla Pod from walmart, I disconnected the physical camera mount from it and mounted it to a piece of flat steel. Drilled 2 holes in the bolted it up. I like this because the camera mount allows you to turn it 360 degrees and lock it in place, so it can be turned around to face the rider as well. It holds quite well but I havent had a chance to get it on the water yet to see. I am thinking of running a rubber strap up and over the top of the camera itself just stabliize it a little more. If you are interested in details let me know and I can take some more pictures.

And here is a still from the camera itself.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    pretty cool so is it adjustable on a ball head?

+1
    I like it but it appears that it wants to focus on your instrument pod. Might need to re-aim it.

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    I have always wanted an easy way to put a camera on my RXT and while doing a bunch of mods this past week I came up with this idea. What it is is a knock off Gorilla Pod from walmart, I disconnected the physical camera mount from it and mounted it to a piece of flat steel. Drilled 2 holes in the bolted it up. I like this because the camera mount allows you to turn it 360 degrees and lock it in place, so it can be turned around to face the rider as well. It holds quite well but I havent had a chance to get it on the water yet to see. I am thinking of running a rubber strap up and over the top of the camera itself just stabliize it a little more. If you are interested in details let me know and I can take some more pictures.
    Hey dude...what camera is that?? I am looking at possibly getting one also to have on these runs...thanks.

Its a Sanyo Xacti. They came out with a new one since mine and its actually cheaper too but more Megapixels. Its a fantastic Camera, waterproof up to 5 feet or so which is perfect for what I do with it which is jetski, tube, wakeboard etc. Havent had a problem with it yet and the picture quality is superb. oh ya it can take stills while video taping too, pretty cool. Let me know if you would like more info.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-E2-D...9596843&sr=8-1

+1
    It's a very good cam, The wind filter is awesome & it takes good pics too. Be very careful with that camera's "Plastic" threads on the mount. They break under all that pounding & the more your mount moves/vibrates the sooner it will break.. Ask me how I know.

I ended up tapping the hole to accept the brass 1/4-20 insert & epoxied it in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post

And here is a still from the camera itself.

Nice setup but.... It looks like it's going to be unstable under ride conditions unless it's flat water. The cam is top heavy & the spacers you have between the surface & mount only act as a pivot point. I would flat mount that thing.
    DO NOT USE IT IN ROUGH OCEAN CONDITIONS! It won't last because of the plastic base.

I'm just trying to let you know so you are aware & won't lose it to neptune... He has too many cams as it is now!

I was thinking of running a flat "bungie cord" type cord up and over the top of the camera, put 2 holes, one in each side of the metal mount and attach it to them. Would it still be unstable?? the brass insert is a great idea I may have to do that I was worried about the threads on the camera more than anything. If anyone has any other ideas on how to mount it I am open to change it, right now there are just 2 small holes in the plastic fairing which can easily be plugged. I really want something that is easy to take the camera in and out of but is perminant if that makes sense.
    -david

+1
    Here's what I have going on for my GPS & will work for your cam too.
    They are ram mounts parts.

Get the kit as a whole with a long stem:
    http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun.../ramb108g1.htm

Or seperate with the small 1" stem & larger 6"-8"ss clamp:
    http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...l/ramb108b.htm

Then:
    http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...m/ramb201a.htm

Then for your cam base:
    http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun.../ramb202g1.htm

Make sure you get a 1/4-20 set screw for your it so your cam can mount to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untaker 001.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	126928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untaker 002.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	126929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untaker 003.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	126930  

looks really good I might have to look into that b.c I tried mine out today and it is pointed WAY to low, so I am rethinking it currently, thats kinda pricy I was hoping to throw something together from what i have laying around.
    -david

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information