Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery won't charge

I have a 94 xp and 96 gtx last fall the kids put them in without the drain plugs. They sank and got water in the engine compartment got them out drained them and they ran fine. But the battery's went down so I replaced the battery's they will start and run fine but the battery's drain. The charging systems are not working?

Thanks
    Tim

water could have gotten to your stator. i'm not sure how to ccheck the charging system though. i'm sure someone will chime in with a soultion.

+1
    welcome to the forum riverman

With the engine turned off and the battery fully charged, measure the battery voltage. It should read around +12.5 vdc. Start the engine and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be +13.5 vdc or greater. If it's not, the charging system is not working... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    With the engine turned off and the battery fully charged, measure the battery voltage. It should read around +12.5 vdc. Start the engine and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be +13.5 vdc or greater. If it's not, the charging system is not working... Ron
    Ron-

never noticed, but you're right down the street from me. I'm on East Harbor. Maybe we should ride to Kelly's sometime and have a drink!

Thanks
    Great site have lurked around for a while but have not needed to ask any questions until now.
    I have meter I will check the output voltage of the stator. Is there any fuses or such to look for that my have shorted when they got wet. I replaced the battery's thinking they went bad from the flooding but they went down again so it most likely is not charging. I can't image the stator's in both of them went bad at the same time from the flooding it just seems strange to me.
    They both run fine the battery's just discharge.

Thanks
    Tim

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey Tim, I'm not familiar with the 94, but the 96 will have fuses to check in the grey box. The 7.5 amp nomrmally blows when the charging system fails. Split it open and check all of them though.

Sorry it is a GXS

Got them out of storage today. New battery the XP won't turn over unless the plugs are out. So Im going to pull the starter and look it over.

Now the GXS would not do any thing so I pulled the box next to the battery out blown fuse. Clymers list it as a 15 amp it had a 20 amp in it. Put a 15 in it turn a little and quit checked the front box blown 5 amp and the Electronic module is burnt in the middle ( bad) so what could cause this and what does a new Electronic module cost.
    I think the fuses blew because of the flooding.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I think you may have a GSX, first off...LOL

What module are you talking about? Can you post us a pic?

Yes you are right GSX Sorry.I will try some pic's i always have trouble posting because of the size but I will try. But I have never posted pic's here.
    The module according to the manual is the electronics it is in the front compartment in a water tight box and has 2 fuses an 5 amp and 15 amp.

Thanks
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information