Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery trickle charge question

Newbie question. I have a Seadoo RXT, RXDI and a GTI. Can you trickle charge the battery while the battery is still installed in the bike? During the winter months while my bikes were outside in the sunny south Florida, the two of the batteries lost their charge. Next year I was thinking of hooking up trickle chargers to the batteries in the bikes with the batteries installed. Does anyone know if this is advisable? Is there any risks in damaging the bike's electrical system?

Using 1 or 2 amps to charge the batteries is not going to hurt the batteries unless you fail to check and refill the batteries with electrolyte, or cause a spark which ignites fumes in the hull. Doing either will ruin your day... Ron

Sounds like it is a bad idea to leave a trickle charger hooked to the battery unattended for weeks at a time to keep the battery alive. So what is the recommended way of keeping the battery alive during non-use?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by abcgroup View Post
    Sounds like it is a bad idea to leave a trickle charger hooked to the battery unattended for weeks at a time to keep the battery alive. So what is the recommended way of keeping the battery alive during non-use?
    Don't use an automotive 'trickle charger'. Trickle chargers, especially those meant for the larger automotive batteries, push too much current into the PWC battery, and shorten the battery life.

Use a battery maintainer.

A battery maintainer brings the battery up to full charge, then backs off and does not over charge the battery. It monitors the battery, and adds a little charge from time to time, just enough to counteract the normal battery gradual discharge.

You can leave a battery maintainer connected to the battery long term, with no problems.

Battery Tender is one well known brand.

I own and use the BatteryMinder model 12248 from VDC Electronics, which also de-sulfates the battery over time.

BatteryMinder also has a smaller 12117 model.

When it is time to replace your PWC battery, look for a factory sealed AGM type battery. Deka and Odyssey are two good brands.

Sealed AGM batteries will not leak acid or loose electrolyte, even if inverted. An AGM battery also delivers excellent starting power, and is very rugged.

Thanks for the input...this helps a lot.

If you are afraid about keeping it plugged in all the time, use a 24-hour timer and set it for an hour or two. But, don't use a high-amp charger. Just an amp or two is all you need.

I charge 4 group-27 batteries for my boat. They are tied together in parallel with clip leads in the garage. When fully charged, the total draw from the charger is around 2 amps... Ron

I've seen that odyssey is a popular brand on this forum. I'm looking to replace the battery I have in my 2007 RXP 215....
    The battery I have now works fine, but I just purchased this ski which has 55 hours on it and I'm interested in getting everything new/squared away before riding season starts up.
    Would this Odyssey battery from Jerry's store be one of the best to purchase for my ski ??
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=457

I like the Trickle Charger you stated you have ( BatteryMinder model 12248) and after reading the description of your model, I believe it would work with this battery from Jerry's store, correct?

Thanks for the advice.

any feedback on the above?

While I was searching for the Battery Tender as suggested I came across this battery maintainer at Harbor Freight. What is anyone thoughts about this battery maintainer for $10.00?

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=99857

Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Don't use an automotive 'trickle charger'. Trickle chargers, especially those meant for the larger automotive batteries, push too much current into the PWC battery, and shorten the battery life.

Use a battery maintainer.

A battery maintainer brings the battery up to full charge, then backs off and does not over charge the battery. It monitors the battery, and adds a little charge from time to time, just enough to counteract the normal battery gradual discharge.

You can leave a battery maintainer connected to the battery long term, with no problems.

Battery Tender is one well known brand.

I own and use the BatteryMinder model 12248 from VDC Electronics, which also de-sulfates the battery over time.

BatteryMinder also has a smaller 12117 model.

When it is time to replace your PWC battery, look for a factory sealed AGM type battery. Deka and Odyssey are two good brands.

Sealed AGM batteries will not leak acid or loose electrolyte, even if inverted. An AGM battery also delivers excellent starting power, and is very rugged.

This is what I have on my Snowmobile, motorcycle, Sea-doo, lawnmower etc. The one I have is able to hook up to 5 units and MAINTAIN them. Just be sure it has a full charge to begin with, it is a maintainer not a charger!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information