Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

water in the bilge

I have a problem with water collecting in the bilge of my 06 rxp. it collects i would guess about 1-2 gallons after 1 hr riding. it has a s3 setup (just to give background info). i checked and changed essentially all parts that i know would come through the hull. it has a new driveshaft, o-rings, c-clip, (boot was inspected and found to be ok as well as the carbon ring. also changed all hoses coming into the bilge for the cooling system. the fluid is not coolant. any suggestions short of putting in a bilge pump which i will resort to? thanks guys.

If there is 1-2 gallons in the hull after riding the ski for an hour and the siphon tubes are operating correctly, then you are taking on a lot of water, just most of it is getting pumped overboard... Ron

+1
    Not sure about an rxp but my boat the top and bottom hulls are glued and riveted together. that where i found a leak on my boat, also check the O-rings on the drain plugs and be sure there ok. My leak was at the back i left it tied to the trailer and back it in the water took a look in the engine bay and it was pouring in like niagara falls

ok, also of noted, i backed it into the water and it didn't take in any water when it was sitting for 10-15 min. so i figured that the bilge plugs are functioning. will pull the bilge plugs and also check the siphon tubes (bailer hoses). the only other thing i can think about is a hole in the hull or along the joining of the hull and body. i hope not.

+1
    Back it into the water on the trailer and start the engine while it's tied down and remove the seat and watch for water around the carbon ring seal. I have a sneaking suspicion that's where your leak is. Put 2 bilge pump's in it even if it doesn't leak. A small hole will sink that thing faster then you can say "oh shit". The smaller the boat, the less water it takes to overcome buoyancy. 2 500 gal per hour will suffice although 2 750's is even better. A good leak and you will never make it to shore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbert comissiong View Post
    ok, also of noted, i backed it into the water and it didn't take in any water when it was sitting for 10-15 min. so i figured that the bilge plugs are functioning. will pull the bilge plugs and also check the siphon tubes (bailer hoses). the only other thing i can think about is a hole in the hull or along the joining of the hull and body. i hope not.
    I had the back tied down to so the rub rail was under water, I had to reseal where the seem is and replace the rivits that hold the rubrail on. Check there and yes check all bailer lines exhause cooling lines. tie down hooks at the back

cool. got some things to check on, obviously not tonight. what about the scat trak shaft seal? is this a good time to switch if indeed it pans out to be the carbon ring?

+1
    I have no knowledge of the aftermarket seals so someone else will have to chime in. If it's more reliable and lasts longer then the carbon ring, I say go for it. (If it's leaking).

any other thoughts on the aftermarkey seals vs. stock with carbon ring

just keep it simple, run it stock imo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information