Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hurricane Ally aka Polk county, Auburndale Florida.

MSX 150 Cutting out, Ignition Coil????

Hi all,

Was riding MSX150 yesterday, at WOT it started to breakdown, bascially would miss or cut out for a split second then fire again. That problem progressed to the point where it would top at at 3500 rpms. (No red problem indications)

Pulled into shore, checked plugs, front plug pretty fouled, rear plug looked fine. Replaced front plug, no changes.

Pulled the ignition coil electrical plug from rear cylinder, started ski. Reattached that cable, pulled front ignition coil electrical plug and ski would not start.

My plans are later today to swap the coil packs and see if results are the same.

Are there any other test I should perform and or any voltage's etc. I should be checking?

Oh yea, one more thing, I went through two batteries, both old so I just put a new one in, didn't think anything about it but is it possible all of this is related?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you checked out the manual in the tech section?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerme View Post
    ...I went through two batteries, both old so I just put a new one in, didn't think anything about it but is it possible all of this is related?
    The problems when you were riding were all with an old battery?

I don't think a weak battery could cause a problem while the engine is running (unless possibly the battery connections were corroded or loose)

Sorry, no the problems were encountered with the new battery installed. I don't think the problems are related, as the two prior batteries were both old and at their end of legitimate life, I just tried to get off cheap instead of buying the new battery.

I only mentioned it in case there was a known problem which I wasn't aware of, anyway I haven't had a chance to swap the coils but I will a in little bit.

Thanks again to all for responses.

+1

Cool

they did have some problem with voltage rectifier going bad,if you charger battery will it start and if so check volt at the battery should be at least 13.5 if not also check fuse at rear of ski (think it's in a brown box )

cd

Definitely 'swap' the coil packs...and see if your problem moves.

Okay,

Swapped coil packs and had the exact same results, so I don't believe it is the coil pack. One note of interest, when I started the ski today both cylinders were firing, as soon as I gave it some throttle, the back cylinder cut out, this was before I swapped the packs around. Once I put the ski on the trailer and pulled it up into my drive I swapped the coils, and tested. With the ski in reverse and no throttle, both packs were firing properly, or so it appeared but I was scared to give it any throttle with it just on the hose.

Sooooo, does this sound like a dirty/clogged injector? I did run some fuel treatment through it because I thought I had some water in the system. If so, how hard is it to pull the injector and flush it out?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

+1
    ... I did run some fuel treatment through it because I thought I had some water in the system...
    You thought you had water in where?

The fuel tank?

Did you partially sink the hull or something?

No I didn't sink it, I thought I might have water in the fuel because of the humidity down here in Florida causes sever condensation in fuel tanks.

If a fuel tank is left with less than full and allowed to sit for extended period of time (a month or more) it will develop condensation and that will go into the fuel system.

+1
    ...I thought I might have water in the fuel because of the humidity down here in Florida causes sever condensation in fuel tanks.

If a fuel tank is left with less than full and allowed to sit for extended period of time (a month or more) it will develop condensation and that will go into the fuel system.
    I see.

I presume the gasoline you are using has ethanol blended in. Water+ethanol creates what is known as phase separation in the fuel. The water+ethanol goop settles out of the fuel, and the gasoline floats on top.

The ethanol+water stuff doesn't burn properly in the engine, if at all. The gasoline that remains in the tank is degraded, and has lower octane than before the water got involved.

If you suspect water in the fuel tank, you may need to drain all the degraded fuel out, and make sure there is no ethanol+water stuff sitting in the bottom. The fuel filter(s) may also need to be changed. Then put fresh gasoline in the tank - do not try to reuse the old stuff.

Once ethanol phase separation has begun in the presence of water, there is no fuel treatment that can reverse the effects. Even those that claim to 'absorb water' or 'dry' the fuel are mostly alcohol, which you already have lots of from the ethanol in the original fuel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information