Fuji weak spark... Flywheel???

I am working on a '95 SL 650. It has extremely weak spark, it will jump about .010 with the caps removed. Stator tests good on ohm meter, one coil tests bad, all caps test good. I eliminated the bad coil and tested again, same result extremely weak spark. I switched out the cdi with a known good one, same result. I suspect the flywheel to be weak or damaged in some other way. Have any of you run in to this problem before? I ask because I have not, but I haven't seen everything, yet...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by XSKIER View Post
    I am working on a '95 SL 650. It has extremely weak spark, it will jump about .010 with the caps removed. Stator tests good on ohm meter, one coil tests bad, all caps test good. I eliminated the bad coil and tested again, same result extremely weak spark. I switched out the cdi with a known good one, same result. I suspect the flywheel to be weak or damaged in some other way. Have any of you run in to this problem before? I ask because I have not, but I haven't seen everything, yet...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the Polaris Service Manuals, and other useful info.

Did this machine used to work fine?

No parts have been changed co-incident with the weak spark problem occurring?

thanks, I don't have any previous information on the machine. I have a SELOC manual for the unit, and it appears to be a verbatim copy of the polaris manual in the listed link.

On a side note, there is debris damage on the top of the front piston, looks like maybe a broken ring, reed cage screw, or rod bearing coming apart. When activated, the starter, bendix, flywheel, or crankshaft make a funny sound. It sounds like whatever made the damage in cylinder is still in there.

Initially, I thought that whatever has happened in this cylinder would not cause a weak spark condition. Consequently, I continued to troubleshoot the ignition, to where the only thing left is a fly wheel.

Maybe the Mag bearing heated up and shot the ball retainer through the crank seal and caused some havoc in the Mag housing. I think that is a very outside possibility for that kind of damage to happen. Therefore, I did not think it was worth mentioning in the first post.
    Last edited by XSKIER; 04-12-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added

+1
    I think its time for a teardown and inspection.

Welcome to the hulk...

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk X.

Have you tried removing the plug caps and cutting the wires back about 1/4" or so to expose clean wire?

This sometimes helps with a better spark.

You can also consider higher PRO 785 coils to boost voltage. If interested, I have a new set for $60.

Thread Information