Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

787 Carburator question

Getting ready to do a carb rebuild on my '97 SPX.
    My friend is having his done on his '96 XP at a local dealership.
    The mechanic told him he was putting 2.0 needle valves in.
    He said this was a SeaDoo recomended upgrade because the original size (1.5) made them run too lean.
    According to the spec charts, both our skis should have 1.5 needles in them.
    Would going bigger be the correct way to go?
    Both skis are stock.
    I want to do it right and not have to worry about it.
    Is this guy wrong?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yes, he's wrong all day. The 1.5 needle and seat flow just as much fuel as a 2.0 needle and seat will. The difference is the area of the needle allows for a lower pop-off point using the same springs. The 1.5's will work perfectly with a stock flame arrestor. The lean problem comes from the breaking down of the fuel lines and these debris accumulating in the internal filter screens in the carbs. If you go with aftermarket flame arrestors, then most definitely go with 2.0 needle & seats, and depending on the arrestor, 80 gram springs.

For example, my cousin has a 400+ hour 96XP that is bone stock in the engine. I spent 8 hours removing and cleaning her carbs, and replacing all her fuel lines. All original internal parts, no new parts necessary. It GPSd 58.2 afterward with a JD intake grate and UMI, both which kill top speed.

So it would be best if you retained our help (if needed), and you and your bud clean your carbs together.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball451 View Post
    Getting ready to do a carb rebuild on my '97 SPX.
    My friend is having his done on his '96 XP at a local dealership.
    The mechanic told him he was putting 2.0 needle valves in.
    He said this was a SeaDoo recomended upgrade because the original size (1.5) made them run too lean.
    According to the spec charts, both our skis should have 1.5 needles in them.
    Would going bigger be the correct way to go?
    Both skis are stock.
    I want to do it right and not have to worry about it.
    Is this guy wrong?
    sounds like hes trying to make a buck off you guys. Ive had my 96XP all stock. Ive cleaned the carbs every couple of years. Ive never had a problem with the stock set up. all you need to do to keep from running lean is clean the filters in the carbs. there is no reason to dump more fuel in it.

My guess hes making it to rich so you have to come back so he can charge you more to so call fix the problem by putting the 1.5's back in. Thats why i learned real quick to do it myself...its actually really easy to do

....you beat me to it Robert

Yep! LOL

Also, I can tell you how to sychronize the carbs, 95% aren't right from the factory. It's worth at least another 50 rpm, depending on how bad they are off.

You bet I am doing mine myself.
    Told him it was easy.
    Couldn't believe it when he told me he took his there a few days ago and left it for them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yep! LOL

Also, I can tell you how to sychronize the carbs, 95% aren't right from the factory. It's worth at least another 50 rpm, depending on how bad they are off.
    Tell me, I'm listening!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball451 View Post
    You bet I am doing mine myself.
    Told him it was easy.
    Couldn't believe it when he told me he took his there a few days ago and left it for them to do.
    if hes lucky, he might get to ride his ski in August depending how backed up they are. I decided to mess with my local dealer when i was getting ripped off for parts to see what the wait would be to get my engine aligned and he said they cant do anything for a month!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    if hes lucky, he might get to ride his ski in August depending how backed up they are. I decided to mess with my local dealer when i was getting ripped off for parts to see what the wait would be to get my engine aligned and he said they cant do anything for a month!
    mine dealer said i cant get mine in(they cant spare even a 10 minute job)....mine's winterizing snowmobiles til the end of june and i was told the earliest i could get in was the end of july if they get through the waiting list.

anyone got a picture of of fuel line connections on top of the carbs?

Take your flame arrestor off. Take a flashlight and lay a mirror into the carb throats (bend to get correct angle) and note the gap between the butterflies (not the choke) and the carb throat. One will be wider than the other. Don't worry about the difference now, as it will change when you reinstall the carbs. After done and the carbs are tightened up, do the same thing. You will need 2-8mm wrenches to break the locknuts loose off the adjustment cam on the throttle linkage between the two carbs. Adjust in or out to get the butterflies perfectly aligned 90 degrees when wot. It's easier to align at wot than closed, just zip-tie the thumb throttle wot to the grip.

You will probably have to re-adjust the idle, and don't forget to confirm the oil pump cable is properly aligned when you get it back to 3k idle.

I hope you can decipher what I'm saying, it's not that hard to doo and makes for a great running engine.

I do my work on mine myself and was planning on helping him do his.
    But, he took it to the dealer for the tank recall and decided to let them do all the work.
    They have had his ski for about a week and said he should get it back by the end of this week.
    No snowmobiles here!!!

Oh, and my skis are set up for premix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information