Thread: No Spark ?

+1

No Spark ?

I had my gp1200 quit on me I got towed in checked everything out fired right up went out again same thing only now will not start (no spark to plugs) I pulled apart the leads for the start stop control all wires checked out I have the stock CDI box and put it on thinking the aftermarket one might be at fault still no spark is my last option to go into the stator? please jump in with any advice. Also I have gone through a battery in two months it was my cheap walmart backup.

Oh yeah and I did check fuses first.

Thanks Osidebill

If you have a gp1200 (97, 98, 99) and you have changed the C.D.I. then it probably the source coil of the stator. If not I have struck a poor earth, and this also gave the symptoms of erratic instruments. To solve this I ran an additional earth from inside the electrical box to the battery and over to the head and down to the stator cover. REXA.

+1
    REXA Yes mine is the 99 and I did consider faulty ground I ran your suggested grounding scheme quick and dirty a wire from battery to ignition box to head to cylinder block to front case I tried it still no luck. I guess the pulser coil is the next item I have been reading the manual and they have a test however it requires a test harness I am wondering if this can be done just through the plug or if it needs energy from a wire in the plug to go to the coil.

Thanks for the help
    Osidebill

No, the source coil is under the front ignition cover, do a search, I know some one on this or riva's forum has a workshop manual up. The manual tells you what colour wires and what ohms. REXA.

+1
    I have performed some tests as outlined in the manual I checked resistance of my charge coils and my pulser coils. the pulser coils came out good but the charge coil has one side coming out bad reads 0.638 ohms should be between 656.0-984.0 all other coils checked out within the tolerance given by the manual so next I pull the front cover new territory for me so any do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

Osidebill

Bill, you obviously found an on-line manual, just follow the instructions. Source (charge) coil was my guess, but now we know by proper diagnosis. REXA.

+1
    REXA Thanks I am going to make up a permanent version of the ground wire also I liked that idea.

Osidebill

+1
    So I pulled the front cover and removed the stator. now the coil that gave me a low ohm reading is reading open so it definitely was the problem. so here is my next question hopefully someone can answer. What causes this to fail? I have ruled out mechanical there are no marks on it. There was no water in the case only a little grease slung around from the ring gear. The connections and wires in the electrical box were clean and dry. is there anything else I should be doing to prevent future failures?

Thanks,
    Osidebill

Bill, I had one of these fail on a rental GP760 at 170hours, we replaced it and it failed again at 195 hours. I sent it to my rewinder and he said it had been under stress from expansion caused by evapouration of fuel. I knew that this rental outfit used 95 octane fuel (which in New Zealand is aromatically boosted 91) and is hard on rubber seals. We replaced the crank seals and he now runs 91, and no more trouble at over 400 hours.
    Hope this helps, as stator failures in watertight Yamahas is rare. REXA.

Thread Information