Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GPRXT "ZERO" build

I wanted to wait until this weekend to start this thread because i can't do anything until i get the hull. However, I have been through 4 complete conversion build threads and been doing a lot of research and i'm too anxious to wait any longer!

I spent the last part of the winter and beginning of spring modding my GTXL and realized how much money i was dumping into just 5 or 6 MPH (hopefully). I love the challenge of a build and after diving into the mods decided a conversion project would be a more challenging and less expensive way to get to 80mph. Not to mention i would not have gotten close on a couch anyway. Also, i think the Yamaha GPR hull is much sexier than anything by SD. When i bought my skis i went with SD for the motor, reliability, and all the shootout results. But i always liked the look of the Yammi!

Thank you to everybody who has already gone out of their way to offer advice without even having to ask. Specifically to Fizzle for making me a great deal on a hull to get started and Addicted for giving me a call to talk about drivelines without even knowing who i am!

Here are the peices:

-2000 GPR body from Fizzle
    -2005 RXT 215 stock motor and parts (less than 50 hours)*
    *I bought the RXT last summer with 4 hours on it. The ski belonged to an older guy who decided it was too much for him. The rest of the hours have been put on by me and my friends and it has been well maintained and garage kept during the winter.

The plan:

I want a very clean looking craft that sounds great but will surprise the hell out of 4 tec riders in Ohio and on Lake Cumberland (Kentucky). I'm not really going for a sleeper because i want it sound as bad as it will be, while mainting a stock look.

I want to use the SD pump and so i will be utilizing hydrojunkie's adapter and addicted's driveline.

After the intial build i plan to run a bigger SC wheel, XS IC, and possibly try to figure out a rear exhaust.

Also, i want to stay closed loop cooling. I really like the cleanlines of the system, but definately need some help on what works for a heat exchanger.

I'm naming the craft the "Zero" but it not based on WWII aircraft and certainly not a rip off of insanediego's spitfire (which by the way is the sweetest thing i have ever seen!). Zero is just a nickname a history teacher gave me based on my obsession with the Smashing Pumpkins in highschool. That being said i want to go with a gunmetal or dark metallic finish and a smooth and simple, de badged body.

Sorry if the initial post seems like a tease, but i'm too excited and a bit bored of reading! All advice is welcome and i look forward to what i am sure will be a team effort from the experienced members.

+1
    congrats on the build zero. you will have a good time and if you need any help you are in the right place

+1
    One thing to keep in mind ... if you like to ride two-up, there is a major difference between your RXT and the GPR. The GPR can handle two riders, however, it is far more tippy to mount in the water, and nowhere near as stable getting on and off.

+1
    Good luck Zero. You are going to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    One thing to keep in mind ... if you like to ride two-up, there is a major difference between your RXT and the GPR. The GPR can handle two riders, however, it is far more tippy to mount in the water, and nowhere near as stable getting on and off.

i bought 2 skis so i didn't have to have to give rides! lol. anyway, i'll be the only one on this thing. I still have the modded couch for giving ladies rides!

I'll never forget the time a chick told me she was wet and "not from the water"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zerowake View Post
    i bought 2 skis so i didn't have to have to give rides! lol. anyway, i'll be the only one on this thing. I still have the modded couch for giving ladies rides!

LOL Get 'er done! (her and the ski)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zerowake View Post

Perfect! You got it covered!

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Sweet! we're all here to help. keep us posted

first night of progress!

ok, so i couldn't wait to tear into the RXT. I removed the following so far:

Complete wiring harness (except from hood to gauge pod)
    MPEM box
    battery
    Intake
    J Pipe and H2O box
    all exhaust plumbing
    ducting under the glove box
    IC hoses
    fuel rail and injectors
    reverse bucket, nozzle, and pump housing

I'm not sure why i pulled the fuel rail. I think it was because was hooked into the wiring harness. I seperated it from the harness for safe keeping.

I have a few questions:

should i put the fuel rail assy back on before pulling the motor? was this a mistake to pull off in the first place?

do i need to take off the intake mani before oulling the motor? or will it come out on with it on (looks tight).

if the motor is ok to be pulle dwith intake mani on then all i have left is to do is:
    disassemble driveline, drain coolant and remove plumbing, remove gauge pod and remaining harness, and pull the engine and tank.

if anybody notices that i'm going about this wrong, please let me know.

i actually got a call today from an ohio buddy who heard i was doing the build. we ahd no idea who each other wer euntil today! he has full access to a machine shop and experience modding conversion parts has offered to make the pump adapter to keep my SD pump!

i'm only one day into this and already i have had so much help from people i don't even know! Thank you so much everybody.. this will be a lot of fun

I can't let anything out of the bag, but I got a feeling he is going to make some people's jaw drop at MB. please don't ask, he didn't give me details and i can't share what i do know. at least not unless he says it is cool

pics

Not that any of you need to see what a tear down looks like, but what the hell. also, i know you see the MPEM, i took it out after the photos. also check out my GF who is not happy that i'm going to be spending every free minute on this thing until i am done! i got a killer GF, most would have kicked me to the curb by now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pissed GF.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	126226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull front.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	126227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear hull.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	126228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts bin.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	126229  

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information