New Member "howdy" and question or two

My name's Dustin and I live just north of Houston in Humble, TX. Last summer I finally graduated pharmacy school and gave myself a Waverunner for a present.

Anywho, my fiancee and I rode it all summer and had a lot of fun. I also rode it once a month through the fall and winter to avoid winterizing and because it was warm enough to do so.

Well the last time I took it out, last week, I got to storage and uncovered it. I popped the oil cap to check the level. The oil was barely touching the end of the dipstick. It wasn't low back at the end of February when I last rode it, so I was kinda puzzled. I got a quart of Mobil 1, poured it in a bit at a time, and wound up putting the whole quart in to get it to read "L" on the dipstick. I took it to the lake and the battery was too weak to kick over the engine, so I did not run it. I charged the battery and left it to float for a week. I got the ski out yesterday and brought it back to the driveway to run it on the hose to see if the battery was worth a damn. I also put another 1/2 quart of oil in to get it between the "F" and "L" on the dipstick. Cranked engine and it started up, went and turned on the hose, came back and it seemed like it was running rough. Not the same as idling on the water, so don't know if it does that on the hose. Cut the hose off and killed the ski engine and let it sit for a few minutes while I checked the battery charge after the run to see if it was low again (bad battery indication). Then I checked the engine oil level, and it was high! It was high about the same distance from middle of normal range down to the tip where it started a week ago before any additions of oil. So it was showing high about the same amount of oil I had added.

I read the manual to see if there was anything I wasn't thinking about and it isn't clear. First it says "Check the engine oil level before each use." The keyword there is BEFORE, which I did. Then it says "When checking the engine oil level on land, supply water to the cooling passages." Huh? You only supply hose water when the engine is RUNNING, so that makes no fncking sense. But I am supposed to check the oil level BEFORE use (running the engine). And what would water in the engine have to do with the oil level? So I am confused and I guess taking it to the dealer tomorrow to just have them do the yearly service on it and save me the headache.

Oh, and I do all my maintenance on my truck, car, Jeep and have never had problems checking, changing, topping-off oil in a vehicle. So I'm not some fncking retard when it comes to mechanical things. I just assumed a 4-stroke engine in a watercraft would be the same.

Advise, jokes, flaming all welcome. Thanks.

Dustin

+1
    Best way to check the oil on a 4-stroke engine is to warm up the engine to opertaing temp and then shut it off. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then check the oil level. As the oil heats up it will expand and will probably read quite a but higher than it did when it was cold. Due to this expansion you have to be careful not to overfill it with oil.

About the idling, it will always idle higher (at higher RPM) on the trailer becasue there is no load (water) in the pump on the impeller. The water from the hose is only cooling the engine, not putting any load on the prop.

Hitman said what i was thinking when reading your post.

But,I thought you had to use yamalube oil so as to not void any warrantys.
    Thats what the dealer told me.

+1
    Yamaha only recommend their own oil, they do not make it compulsory to use it.....as long as oil used is the correct grade as stated in the manual it will not void the warranty.

When checking oil level, .........run on hose for at least 11 mins, or check after a good ride, but check level directly after switching motor off. Oil can start draining back into motor from oil tank straight away!
    Best time to check level is directly after riding the ski, before getting it on the trailer. Midway between marks is best, no higher. This way you know level is correct for next time out, no matter where oil is on the stick when cold.
    I've seen mine off the bottom off the stick when cold, but know level is correct because it was checked when hot last time out.
    Rough idle could be caused by fouled plugs....common problem on the VX after winter storage......change them to see if that cures it. It will sound differant when on the hose though, especially with the seats off....... sounds sort of more metallic!

Got it back from the dealership with it's yearly service performed. Oil, filter, plugs, adjustments, lubing, silicone sprayed engine bay, and recall repair on throttle cable all performed. This is the same shop that did my 10 hour service, and they once again left an oil puddle inside the hull from the oil change I mean how fucking hard is it to put down some paper towels or towel it up after the spill???

Anywho, I took it straight to the lake to run it to see if it still ran well

It was a bit breezy/choppy, and I got pretty wet. It was a tad cool, but was having too much fun to shiver or care.

Now I know how to check the oil properly, per this forum and the service tech I talked to yesterday. I only wish Yamaha would hire someone who knew how to write a technical manual better.

Thanks for the replies,

Dustin

+1
    welcome to the forum !

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    welcome, glad to have you aboard!

+1
    your ski is wet slump,,,,basically if you want to check the oil let it warm up for a few minutes. the FZ series and i also think the SHOs are dry slump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    your ski is wet slump,,,,basically if you want to check the oil let it warm up for a few minutes. the FZ series and i also think the SHOs are dry slump.
    Think you got that the wrong way around.........MR1 is dry sump & must be checked when hot & directly after switching off.
    The new 1800cc motor in the SHO, FZ, & 09 HO are wet sump & are checked in the same way as a car.......warm up, leave 5 mins & then check.

Thread Information