+1

1999 SL1050 NO SPARK! new PVL ign upgrade kit installed

i have a 1999 SL1050 here, that i am working on. it came in with weak / intermitent spark, and no compresion on #1 & 2 cyls. motor is now redone, and i ordered the new upgrade PVL ignition system kit out of polaris. i found a bad ground, in the box, when i was replacing the CDI, so i fixed that. i now just put the motor in, ect, and i STILL have no spark.

i have gone over all grounds, the battery is fully charged ( 1.5 volts), i took the stop sw apart, and cleaned, ( thinking it is maybe corroed, like the yamaha's get), etc.

i will occasionally get ONE spark, as i let off the start button. when the kawi's do this, usually it is the stator assy. ( which is brand new on this machine).

i am now thinking it is maybe a flywheel issue. it seems like i remember the magnets feeling a little "loose" or funny when i put it on.

the other thing i am now seeing. i read the instructions for the kit, ( didn't read them before, DUH!) and it says to "locate the ground wire between the battery neg post, and electrical box terminal. disconnect, or cut the wire. failure to do so, may cause premature stator failure" to me, this makes no sense. are they worried about a "spike" when hooking up the battery? anyway, i DID NOT do this the first time, did i cook the stator?? i am just cranking it, to check spark.

man, i don't want to have to pull this motor again.......

any other idea's?????

thanks. zig

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Hey John, I think I remember reading that pressing the bilge switch while trying to start will bypass the regulator that may not be powering the ignition module creating a no spark condition. Worth a try?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    First off, make sure the black wire from electrical box to stator is indeed grounded to the engine block.

The stator frame grounding bolt to the block is also the ground for the black stator harness wire, which is also the ground for the entire electrical box.

With battery positive disconnected, confirm zero ohms from battery negative to black wires inside electrical box.

Make sure everything that is supposed to be grounded inside the electrical box actually is. No corroded crimp connections or weak wires. CDI and LR module grounds are actually grounded. All ground tests should be with one meter probe on the battery negative post, the other probe on the point being tested.

As you know, sometimes the battery negative cable at the engine plate can get corroded, so clean/check that.

Pressing the bilge button while trying to start the engine bypasses the LR module, and directly powers the CDI. If holding the bilge button allows the engine to start, check the LR module.

Once you are 100% certain the all grounds are solid, check the battery cranking voltage again. If you still have over 10.5 volts while cranking, then I suggest you check the Hall Effect sensor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    First off, make sure the black wire from electrical box to stator is indeed grounded to the engine block.

The stator frame grounding bolt to the block is also the ground for the black stator harness wire, which is also the ground for the entire electrical box.

With battery positive disconnected, confirm zero ohms from battery negative to black wires inside electrical box.

Make sure everything that is supposed to be grounded inside the electrical box actually is. No corroded crimp connections or weak wires. CDI and LR module grounds are actually grounded. All ground tests should be with one meter probe on the battery negative post, the other probe on the point being tested.

As you know, sometimes the battery negative cable at the engine plate can get corroded, so clean/check that.

Pressing the bilge button while trying to start the engine bypasses the LR module, and directly powers the CDI. If holding the bilge button allows the engine to start, check the LR module.

Once you are 100% certain the all grounds are solid, check the battery cranking voltage again. If you still have over 10.5 volts while cranking, then I suggest you check the Hall Effect sensor.

thanks for the suggestions!!

looks like the VR.

i now have good spark!!!! woooohoo!! man, i DID NOT want to pull that motor out again.

the 1050 is hard enough on the three seaters, but there just is no room on the little SL.

thanks for the replies guys.

zig

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    thanks for the suggestions!!

looks like the VR.

I now have good spark!!!! woooohoo!!

...thanks for the replies guys.

zig
    Glad to be able to help!

Thread Information