2008 vx110 Winterization/Maintenance

I have a 2008 VX Cruiser, about 45 hours on it last year before I had my dealer winterize it. They said that with their winterization all I have to do it put in the battery and ride away in the spring. I know my Harley recomends an oil change before winterization and then again before riding in the spring. What are your opinions on that for the Yamaha Vx110 motor?

Also, how hard is it to change your own oil on these. Heard it was a real b****. Thanks for your help.

Ed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TBirdEd76 View Post
    I have a 2008 VX Cruiser, about 45 hours on it last year before I had my dealer winterize it. They said that with their winterization all I have to do it put in the battery and ride away in the spring. I know my Harley recomends an oil change before winterization and then again before riding in the spring. What are your opinions on that for the Yamaha Vx110 motor?

Also, how hard is it to change your own oil on these. Heard it was a real b****. Thanks for your help.

Ed
    Not sure about de-winterizing (thank God I live in FL) maybe someone else can chime in.

Changing the oil isn't bad at all. Once you have an oil extractor you just place the suction hose in the reservoir and pump it out. You'll only get about 2 quarts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TBirdEd76 View Post

Ed
    your dealer is mostly right. i recomend a bettery tender (or w.e its called) you just hook up your battery to it in the winter so it doesnt lose any of its charge. also, when i have my ski winterized i have the dealer change the olil and sparkplugs whiile hes in there. Id do thoese things on top of what they do.

i kept my battery on a tender, but no problems with the oil sitting for 3 to 4 months (new oil changed at winterization), in the crank case or whatever it is.

+1

Smile

the dealer is wrong on the back to back oil changes. in fact oil can safely go 100 hours before changing it or 1 year, which ever comes first, most people will change it more often, we do at every 30 hours or so now, and filter every other change, about 60 hours.

but its just to keep it really nice, in other words it makes me feel better...lol but not required... yamaha suggests 100 hours or each season

however changing it end of season, then 2-4 months later changing again with no hours on it is not right. change it end of seaon and forget it, new season, just ride it! no change again.

Smile

Yes you dont need to change it again after you changed it when winterized.The only time you need to change it back to back is if someone went a 100 hrs on it,because you cant get all the old oil out,so thats why you want to change it more frequently,because about 2/3 of a quart of old oil is left in it.ps you should get a bit more than 2 quarts out of it if you keep your oil level at correct mark>marvin

thanks guys for the tech advise, i'm new to pwc maintenance, and need any tips i can get

Thread Information