Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any suggestions for seat-on moisture storage

Hi Guys,

I currently keep my RXT & RXP on floating sportports in fairly calm sea water. They are covered with factory covers and I do keep the seats on and engines coated. I see many times it recomended to keep the seats off during storage to prevent moisture from being trapped in the engine compartments which makes sense for normal garage type storage conditions.

However being kept out side practically in the ocean it seems the seats being on actually help keep the night air and elements out more so. Is there any good advise or suggestions for me out there guys. I know you guys have seen and have learned the hard way all the tricks.

Many thanks in advance and as always such an awsome site. I'd hate to think of how many newbie mistakes I'd have made with out you guys.

Next projects adding bilge pumps, finger throttle, grips, and seat covers next week.

ScottyJ
    MoBay, Jamaica

07 RXT/RXp (too much dough and time to list goodies)
    Last edited by scottyj; 04-14-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: gramar

well for one thing I would make sure you have a fresh water hose to flush out the exhaust after riding.. and keeping them in salt water area I would get some good fogging oil.. I acutally think there is stuff to use for salt water areas to fog your engine compartment after riding. (you ocean guys might know of this stuff) If you do get a wet bilge after some wave jumping I would try to let it air out before you cover them up. I have it easy riding in fresh water

+1
    Leave the seak off of cocked at an angle to let air circulate inside the ski. I fog the engine compartment with Boeshield Lubricant . It's made to store aircraft parts at sea.

+1
    in my experience, unless you trailer your ski, and tip the trailer 75 degrees up in the air before you drive home, theres always water in the bilges under the engine and especially under the fuel tank.
    on floating docks you are totally screwed, if you wash the engine compartment out after a ride , even worse screwed.
    i typically wash mine out every few rides, when i know i will be riding again in less than a day. and spray down everything in side with WD40.
    then let ski sit open for an hour or 2 to dry out a bit.
    only thing working in our favor is the engines are very hot, and dry all the engine surfaces and inside hull parts after a ride very well. especially if you flush on the dock for 1 min, and blip the thottle to expell excess water at the end, thats heating everything up even hotter.
    after time to dry, i leave my seats on but not snapped, leaving a 2 inch gap for air to breath inside the hull. then cover with the seats loose like this.
    the sun/wind will bake the cover and keep inside pretty dry.
    also try to always dry out your footwells too.
    otherwise they are like open cesspools of water to keep under cover damp and moldy all the time.

+1
    oh yeah, i buy WD40 by the gallon and use a squirt bottle, (adjustable kind, like from tile cleaner etc.) to lube down my engine compartment. works great and 10X cheaper.
    make sure its the adjustable nozzle kind, from fine mist to direct squirt. then you can shoot WD40 in crevices under and between stuff to lube the hard to reach places.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianRxtX View Post
    well for one thing I would make sure you have a fresh water hose to flush out the exhaust after riding.. and keeping them in salt water area I would get some good fogging oil.. I acutally think there is stuff to use for salt water areas to fog your engine compartment after riding. (you ocean guys might know of this stuff) If you do get a wet bilge after some wave jumping I would try to let it air out before you cover them up. I have it easy riding in fresh water

Where in ontario you from?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Where in ontario you from?
    Im from london area.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianRxtX View Post
    Im from london area.
    same here....

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Leave the seak off of cocked at an angle to let air circulate inside the ski. I fog the engine compartment with Boeshield Lubricant . It's made to store aircraft parts at sea.

+1 this will work especially well If you make sure you put the covers on the skis. The cover will stop the salt mist from settling inside the engine compartment... and it will allow it to ventialte the warm damp air. I always leave my seat unlatched and sitting about 2" back so it can vent under the cover. then fog it up and you shouldnt have too much corrosion issues. I would add- always undo your drain plugs so any bit of salt water can drip out and dry (unless the waves are hitting the back of your skis)

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    same here....
    where do you ride? I assume you drive the sportser lol do you have a PWC or just the boat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information