need help with which ski to get???

Well I've narrowed it down to one of two ski's
    option A
    1999 seadoo gsx limited with 50.9 hours. totally stock and in mint condition.
    maintenance light is on but it's at the dealership getting fixed by the original owner.
    I plan on having it compression tested. cost $2850. no more dealing with the guy he was asking $3500.

option B
    2003 Yamaha gp1300r with 45 hours. This ski has riva sposons, Riva GP1300R Pro-Series EFI Control Unit, and I'm guessing other Riva parts. The guy selling it is not really sure what it has. He is an older gentlman so I believe based on looks he really does not know. This ski is really clean as well with only a few knicks in the decals that come on the ski. No fiberglass damage at all. This ski would also need some hydroturf as the stock stuff is starting to peal. cost asking $4500 so I hope i can get it for $4000.

I'd really like to know which is a better route. I own a regular gsx that is my wifes ski.
    I think I'm nervous because it seems like alot of gsxl's are getting the engines rebuilt. But I also see the yamaha's getting rebuilt on here as well.

Aiken, SC
    You turn the maintenance light off by holding "set" and "mode" when you turn the boat on. That is not a code function on that boat, just a way to trick you into taking it to the dealer. The message comes on every 25 hours or so.

I am not a big fan of the GSXL. Too much engine wedged into too little hull as far as working on it. The RX was a HUGE improvement on that hull class. A 951 is what it is. If properly cared for, it will hang in there for you. If not, well, that has been well documented.

The GPR is a decent platform but I would be hesitant to buy a non-stock boat used. It does not get any warmer and fuzzier since the guy selling it does not know much about what has been done to it. If it was just bolt on stuff it would likely be ok. Serious mods could leave you with a machine you have to constantly tune/work on and or a fast boat. Until it blows up.

Take a ride on both. Long enough to get a good feel for the boat and go from there.

If they will not let you ride it, keep looking.

Jacksonville, N.C.
    Personally, I would go with the GP1300R.

imo GPR for sure

St. Louis

well I bought my ski

I picked up the gpr this past weekend. I took it for a test ride and so far so good. I actually gave the guy a down payment pending a compression test at the dealer. So really if it turns out ok I'll get it next weekend. I already order new hydro-turf. I would however like it to be a bit louder. My XP was great sounding compared to this ski.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zpfile000.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	127161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zpfile001.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	664.2 KB 
ID:	127162  

Jacksonville, N.C.
    Congrats on a great looking ski!

Jupiter Fl
    triple pipes would give it a nice tone...

Long Island, New York

Thread Information