Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'03 1300R slower after mods, ideas?

Ok I went out and GPS'd/tach'ed my '03 1300r to see how it's doing. here's a breakdown..

weather: 76, humidity 70%, water temp 64, light chop (4-6")

ski: r&d ride plate (no shims), r&d trim tabs (no shims), r&d 2 bar intake grate, IR 14/20 prop depitched to 12/19, stepped stock sponsons, everything else is stock. the pump shoe is not hanging low.

the problem is it's only pulling 6850-6900 RPMs (PET 2500 tach). GPS says 61.9-62.2 MPH. any ideas?

+1
    thats because you have added a taller prop and nothing stronger to turn it, so yes your losing about a mile or more with that prop.

You have added stuff to the "outside of the ski" and nothing to the inside to make it turn that prop.

For now your problems will go away by putting your stock prop back on.

Keep the other prop, but you will need a fuel controller and a D-plate to turn it over 7100 rpms. You have added all the things that will make you handle better in the water, but not go faster. You've got peanut and no butter right now.

+1
    Is your pump sealed?

hmmm

i have everything else, i just haven't put it on yet.

i realize i haven't done any engine mods. but most "stage I" kits that feature a steeper 13/19 prop don't have any engine mods either. i didn't think an IR 12/19 would be a bad matchup. it's not like i'm trying to turn a 16/25? or maybe my 12/19... really isn't a 12/19... lol

i have the ppk also just didn't put it on.

+1
    nate,
    consider putting it all back stock, one piece at a time...at the lake if possible, until you find out what you did differently.

It could easily be something as wierd as a crooked plate, or a loose screw.

and it's an 2003 model, so I'd be wanting a measurement of that pump shoe. How recessed into the hull is it?

+1
    absolutly check the pump shoe...i went through that and the factory recall....if you havnt had it fixed get ready for a sinking feeling and 7 mph slower when the inserts pull down out of the hull....yamaha will fix it real good and proper and free...factory recall....hope this tid bit helps.

ski

factory recall has been performed. i already sunk once i'll take some pictures right now. i'll be back in a bit. i really think it's the prop, although i can't see how it won't spin a 12/19?? my stock prop is a little banged up though. i'll snap off some pictures of my liner too. i was questioning it earlier. i'm going riding today and i'll try and get some numbers again and see if there's any difference. this sux!

85mm or 87mm nozzle?

+1

Re: ski

Quote Originally Posted by NateGP1300R
    factory recall has been performed. i already sunk once i'll take some pictures right now. i'll be back in a bit. i really think it's the prop, although i can't see how it won't spin a 12/19?? my stock prop is a little banged up though. i'll snap off some pictures of my liner too. i was questioning it earlier. i'm going riding today and i'll try and get some numbers again and see if there's any difference. this sux!
    your not as far off as you might think...

Think about it this way: the ski is a 62 mph ski in bone stock form. You added the 2 bar intake grate which is worth a loss of up to 0.5 or so (due to the sacrifice of good hookup), then the tabs and sponsons really have no affect on speed at this point and time (but they will later).

So even with a prop too tall to turn and the other mods - your still at the stock speed, so...........indeed you are a "hair" ahead of the game, so get that prop fixed and get the ride plate (i know your waiting on that one) and you will more than likely be fine. Especially after the D-Plate and FC install - you should be scaring the hell out of 68-69 mph at that point.

You will be fine - and keep us up to date with what is going on.

ski mods

It's the factory 85mm nozzle. I realize I "should" run an 87mm, but I wasn't going to buy one when I have an '05 pump/Dynafly setup coming soon.

Yeah I'm just waiting on my reeds and keyway to come in before I pull the heads off. I wanted to do all the underhood stuff at the same time. I'm sending my plate to Jim later this week so hopefully that will be one thing I don't have to worry about.

I didn't think it was only a 62 mph ski from the factory although I never GPS'd mine. My friends was 64 mph all day long stock.

When people recommend a 13/19 prop for a near-stock ski, I didn't think I would gain zero speed and possibly a loss by an IR speedcut 12/19??

I forgot a lent my camera to my sister. Maybe my camera on my phone will take decent enough pictures. It's a 1.3MP camera. I'll try it.. thanks for the replies!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information