Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: seems slow?

seems slow?

I just bought a 2006 110vx deluxe with 39hrs. had it out on the lake this weekend and everything was great, but top speed only 42? (was not in low mode.)
    could it be the trim? is it adjustable? it seems the frount never fully came out of the water.

or-- could it be throtle cable not being proberly adjusted?

did'nt have time to play with anything, was too cold..

any thoughts?
    thanks

A common problem is the spark plugs fouled or the air filter has become saturated with oil from someone overfilling the oil tank. Although a oil saturated filter isn't always obvious to the naked eye. I would start with the spark plugs. Change them out with a new set.

If you bought it privately, I bet the impellor has a dink in it and needs a refurb. That ski should do 55mph.

Pull the pump apart from the back end first. It's not as complicated as it first appears. You might need to loosen and lower the ride plate first to get it all apart and take off the steering cable and reverse bucket cable. It helps to do that on my FX, but I've never touched a VX.. It'll be a good learning curve if you've not touched a ski B4. Good luck.

Or check the above first. That would be easier, and I've had that fault as well!!!

thanks, i'll start with plugs, filter, then impeller.
    how about the trim, is it adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman361 View Post
    thanks, i'll start with plugs, filter, then impeller.
    how about the trim, is it adjustable?
    If you've got adjustable trim, there will be 3 or 5 settings on the left handlebar grip.There will be a diagram showing nose up, nose down. From memory, VX don't have adjustable trim, but if I'm wrong, someone will chime in. Trim would not cause a 12-13mph loss in speed.
    It'll be an oiled plug or dinked prop

+1
    one thing that can and will cause this, is the air filter dirty with oil..

you cant tell that by simply looking down inside, you must take it out.. if the bottom 25% of filter ( or more) has oil or oil film all over it, you found the problem.. one of my skis that normally did 52 mph, after a dealer oil change last year, only went 43 ish, since then i do all my own work for teh most part... replaced filter and it went 52 again...that simple..

+1
    One thought, was this speed of 44 confirmed by a GPS unit or are you just going off the speedometer?

+1
    Don't get ahead of yourself............change the plugs (always apply antisieze to threads & torque up to spec). Then take it out on the water, see if that cures it, if not then remove air filter & go for a short ride, if that cures it then it's a new filter. Consider getting an after market mesh filter which will not fowl.
    Oil has to be checked when motor is hot.......midway between marks is fine, never fill above this.

I inspected the impellor no defects found and the same as with the airfilter and plugs. this thing looks bran new 42 hrs

here's my next question- the rpm's on the tach does'nt redline could it be a TPS (trottle position sensor) or cable adjustment.

still need to check speedo with GPS maybe next weekend, but I dought this is it.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman361 View Post
    I inspected the impellor no defects found and the same as with the airfilter and plugs. this thing looks bran new 42 hrs

here's my next question- the rpm's on the tach does'nt redline could it be a TPS (trottle position sensor) or cable adjustment.

still need to check speedo with GPS maybe next weekend, but I dought this is it.

thanks
    Did you replace the plugs or just inspect them. If one is oiled up, it won't always be that obvious, and that would cause the drop in revs if it's down one cylinder. For the cost, sling a brand new set in B4 anything else

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information