Need help with the Pink One

In the world of 80+ MPH skis....... this is pretty trivial, but to my daughter, its' not, and it's giving us fits ...... Her ski is a '93 VXR (the old 650-cc unit with the "hot pink" hood) . It's bone stock and has been as reliable as a timex until recently, and to her is till a joy to ride. Problem: Something is wrong with the flow of gas to the engine. Symptoms: The engine will not start unless I add raw fuel down the carb. Then, if it is any less than full throttle, it will run a few seconds then die. At full throttle it will keep running for a period of time, but as soon as I let up on the gas the least bit, it dies and will not start again until I add raw gas to the engine (it doesn't have a primer, just a choke).
    I took the carb off and partially took it apart, checking the jets, needle valves, etc. There was quite a bit of corrosion from years of use, but after cleaning, it still does the same thing.
    Any ideas what to do? I dont want to invest in a new carb...... Are there some good rebuild kits available? Can someone with middle of the road wrenching skills do the work? Is there anyone available that can do the work of rebuilding at a reasonable cost? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

+1
    No fuel flow:

Dirty carbs
    Old Gas
    Carb pulse line broke or off
    Carb fuel pump diaphram cracked
    Fuel tank air vent obstructed
    Fuel supply at bottom of sending unit clogged
    Fuel supply screen at bottom of sending unit dirty/gummed
    Fuel line clogged
    Needle and Seat clogged
    Fuel valve in Off position
    Dirty / clogged filter

This is what I would look for....maybe someoen else can chime in

+1
    fuel pump??

+1
    RX951 pretty much summed it up. So basically rebuild the carb. Mikuni sells rebuild kits. Medium wrenching skills are adequate. A manual with specs will be needed. Change the fuel filter. Check all the fuel lines and pick-ups from the gas tank for obstructions or leaks.

Maybe throw in a set of properly gapped NGK plugs too.

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure that it is getting gas to the carb..... just not going thru it. Will plan on a rebuild as soon as I can find a kit to buy.

one final question.........

I appreciate all the input so far on help with my problem. I've been doing some exploring, and know the following: No problem with gas to the carb and No problem with obstructions in the carb as best i can tell.

I'm concerned with the pump diaphram. It doesn't appear to be torn or cracked, but it does seem to be distorted (won't seat flat into the groove and it looks like a balloon that has been blown up one too many times). Could that be the culprit? I can see where vacuum on the diaphram would not pull it down enough to move the float arm.

I'm tempted to buy a new one but just wanted some input to see if I could be on the right track before I do.

Thanks again for all the help.

+1
    I would say you are on the right track. If the diaphram is not touching the float arm it will cause a problem because the needle is not moving up in the seat to allow fuel in.

+1
    I would say you are on the right track. If the diaphram is not touching the float arm it will cause a problem because the needle is not moving up in the seat to allow fuel in.

+1

re carb

You should replace the diaphram your local dealer can provide the diaphram APPROX $14.00 sbn38/44. Second dissasemble the other side of the carburator, once you remove the fuel pump portion there you will find a tiny fuel filter inside the carb. Make sure this is clean if this is clogged you will not get fuel through the carb! (most probable cause)
    Next inspect the gas cap gasket make sure it's not torn or cracked. Jet-skis fuel systems are designed to operate under pressure, the pressure assist the fuel pump in supplying enough fuel to the carb.

Hope this helps

thanks for your help

I appreciate the help....... i'm buying parts as we speak. Hopefully I'll get my daughter's ski into the water soon.

Thread Information