Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how do i bring back that "shine" ???

my 96 xp 800 is looking dull these days. i'm stripping the stickers off and cleaning her up a bit and i want to know how di u get that shine back? or atleast alot closer than is? where the stickers were its brand spankin new, id like the rest of her to look this way. there is no "dammage" by the sun its just faded. nothing peling or cracking or anything like that. is ther a polish or buffer i can use ?

Life is Supercharged (without ceramics)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffz0rz View Post
    my 96 xp 800 is looking dull these days. i'm stripping the stickers off and cleaning her up a bit and i want to know how di u get that shine back? or atleast alot closer than is? where the stickers were its brand spankin new, id like the rest of her to look this way. there is no "dammage" by the sun its just faded. nothing peling or cracking or anything like that. is ther a polish or buffer i can use ?
    well that shine was your clear coat so if you get it recleared with the gel coat then it would come back.

But somewhat of a fix for the top part of the jet anyways, you can use a claybar (made for car paint) and it will remove dirt and crap from the finish. You can then use some NuFinish polish to get it to shine, it wont be 100% glossy but it will be a lot better than the aged sunburn you probably have now on a 13 yr old jet.

I do that to my rxp even tho the clear coat isnt damaged just to keep it shiny, just like i do to my cars.

All the best,
    LG

find yourself a buffer. hit it with some compound and wax. you wont believe your eyes.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    +1

there is no clear coat... it's gelcote

lay into it with a polishing machine and compound and de-oxidize that gelcote. and get a really good coat of wax on it afterwords

it will save time and work and give better results if you wetsand it first with 600 grit. 3M Marine Rubbing Compound (liquid) is the best to use with a buffer.

this 3M product will give me good results ? never used anything like it before. i have a buffer so i'm guessing use it to apply the 3m marine compound ? and after that i'm guessing i should wax it ? any wax that you guys have used in the past that gives good results ?

I use a mulit-speed buffer - 200 to 3000 rpms. You want to use a fairly low speed... Ron

dont bother wasting your time with an orbital if thats what you have. get a buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffz0rz View Post
    I was in the same boat last fall with my 96 XP and used the following. I picked up a $14 orbital buffer from Menards and 1st used some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover get rid of the heavy Oxidation.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+GLAZE+16

Then I used Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax to bring back the shine.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+FLAG+16

Took a descent amount of elbow grease, but I was very happy with the results. After taking off the OEM graphics there was a massive difference between the virgin gelcoat under them and the areas that were free to gather Oxidaton for 12 years. It all buffed right out though.

+1
    you can recondition the hard plastic hood, and mirrors, grab handle, skegs, with fine steel wool, just sand the plastic down to virgin color.
    then apply good UV protectant like for car dashboards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information