Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White smoke

White smoke

I did a search and saw multiple results about how white smoke might not mean something is totally wrong, while others mentioned all kinds of possible problems. I didn't see a scenario in the posts that fit my situation so I thought I might be able to pick some brains. Whenever I would run wide open I didn't notice any smoke, but when I would come to an idle there would be a small amount of rich smelling white smoke coming out the back for a minute and alleviate on it's own. This is the 1st time the ski has been on since I've owned it and probably the first time it's been on water in 2 years. I had the oil and filter changed last week and the dealer said other than the wear ring, which I replaced, that everything was good to go. Here's some vitals from today's run:
    -64mph @ 7800rpm
    -Water temp: 71F
    -The sea was glass like today

My brother had mentioned that sometimes white smoke can mean besides an engine burning a little rich on gas that it could need the spark plugs changed. I don't think they have ever been changed. Should I go ahead and do this? Thanks for the help.

Jake

+1
    First off, what year and model ski and what horsepower? Was it winterized when last put into storage. If so, it might having engine fogging oil in it.

Does it have an intercooler - either internal or external? If you do have an IC, it may have a small leak due to not flushing after riding in salt water. Are you loosing antifreeze? If you are, you might have a leaking head gasket ... Ron

+1
    White smoke is oil and black smoke is fuel. How many hours on the ski? If it is supercharged it could be the oil seal on the SC. Might be time for a rebuild on the SC.

If it was your rings it would propably smoke all the time. Has it ever had a clutch washer failure?

It's an '03GTX SC, and the owner before me did winterize it. As far as the IC goes, it's all stock so I'm not sure of the right answer to that. Yesterday was the first time it has been in salt water. The engine has a total of 51hrs on it. From the previous owner whom I know very well, he said he's never had any problems with it. I'm wondering if it was doing this because of being stored for so long with out running. Geez, where to start looking first.

Ok, a stock '03 GTX SC does not have an intercooler. And since you are running in Florida, I assume that the water temperature is not too cold. I would run the ski for 15 or 20 minutes and see if the steam is still present. If you're not loosing antifreeze, I wouldn't worry about it anymore. And, blue smoke is from oil; white smoke (steam) is from water boiling... Ron

I took it out again and still had some smoke showing up. When I got home and was flushing the engine, it did it some when I gave it gas. I had my brother and dad take a look at it and they both said it's just from the exhaust and was definitely gas fumes. They said not to worry about it as it's pretty normal.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jb83 View Post
    I took it out again and still had some smoke showing up. When I got home and was flushing the engine, it did it some when I gave it gas. I had my brother and dad take a look at it and they both said it's just from the exhaust and was definitely gas fumes. They said not to worry about it as it's pretty normal.
    Could it be steam from the water in the exhaust system?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Could it be steam from the water in the exhaust system?
    Yes, and that is completely normal. The exhaust is injected with water to keep it from getting hot.

White smoke out the back is normal.

Monitor your coolant level, if it does not drop your fine.........

I would drain that old gas and put some new gas in it for a start, 2 year old gas starts to turn into turpentine. Unless it had stabilizer in it, but even then, I don't know how long stabilizer will keep the gas good, I have only used it for like 1 year at a time, and everything worked out ok, but not for 2 years. If it does have stabilizer in it, was too much put in? I thought this might help some, hope it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information