Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

XS style intercooler (type 19) for SHO

OK guys, here is some pics of what I did today with a buddy of mine who owns a turbo shop. Kind of similar to what RIP did to his SHO to get an HKS BOV setup on there.

The last couple pics I used two jack stands to prop up the intercooler and all fabbed piping to show you how it will sit in the hull and to give you a better look at all the angles I am working with.

The XS style intercooler (type 19) can be found here http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...821e91de595783
    This piece is a lot longer than the stock intercooler as you can see:

The core inside the XS style IC is about 4-5 times the size of the stock core which will make for much more efficiency and be able to cool a much larger volume of air. The air inlet and outlet are 3" compared to the 2 and 1/4" openings of the stock IC.

Since the new IC is so much longer, the first thing I had to do was shorten the stock charge pipe that goes from the IC to the throttle body. This will effectively move the IC deeper down inside the hull to avoid interference between the inlet at the reverse bracket assembly. I needed enough room between the inlet at the reverse bracket for the charge pipe from the supercharger to clear. I cut the stock pipe at about the angle I wanted the IC to point and then used a piece of the scrap to angle the IC away from the motor and give me enough pipe for the coupler to hang on to.

You can see how the piece is angled here:

Much like the piece RIP had made for his ski with the stock intercooler, mine is just a bit lengthier bend.

And here are the pics of it all assembled. Obviously I can't install it like this. I will have to lay the intercooler in the bottom of the hull and then attach all the couplers.

+1
    All of the pieces will be going to the powdercoater tomorrow (along with the valve cover) to get a nice flat black finish to match the HKS BOV. I will add up pictures of it all going into the hull and show you how I fabbed up a bracket to hold the new IC in place.

Todd

+1

Beaded Weld

Looks good!
    I like the way the welder added a bead of weld around the end of each pipe to hold the flex on. I'll pinch that idea if that's OK??
    I've got 2 x type 19's on there way and plan them to sit up the front in storage area (over kill but why not). Because of your pic's, it'll be harder to wait.
    Well done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Looks good!
    I like the way the welder added a bead of weld around the end of each pipe to hold the flex on. I'll pinch that idea if that's OK??
    I've got 2 x type 19's on there way and plan them to sit up the front in storage area (over kill but why not). Because of your pic's, it'll be harder to wait.
    Well done.
    Thanks man. Take whatever ideas you want. That's why I posted this thread. It's about time I contributed for all the info I've taken from this site. The bead of weld around the end of each pipe was the welder's idea. He's been doing this a LONG TIME.

Here's a link to his site. Some VERY impressive work he does.
    http://www.hyperformanceracing.com/services.asp

Sounds like you are going ALL OUT on that ski of yours! TWO TYPE 19s! Your motor is going to love you. lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Thanks man. Take whatever ideas you want. That's why I posted this thread. It's about time I contributed for all the info I've taken from this site. The bead of weld around the end of each pipe was the welder's idea. He's been doing this a LONG TIME.

Sounds like you are going ALL OUT on that ski of yours! TWO TYPE 19s! Your motor is going to love you. lol
    No, it probably won't. Thanks for the link.

I choose the 2x19's cause the type 5 was unavailable till July. May as well use 2 rather than one in the front, just as much work.

+1
    Nice work Todd!!!

Results coming soon?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post

Beautiful man..........I'll be keeping in close touch with you when i upgrade my IC......

+1
    Here is everything inside the hull. Notice how I have the whole thing angled away from the engine. The reason for this was two fold. One because the bend of the charge pipe doesn't have to be so tight, and two so the IC is away from the path of the dip stick tube.

You can see how tight things are in these two pics. I am about 1/2" from the hull near the right of the coupling on the top of the IC. In the second pic you can see I'm about another 1/2" from the reverse bracket assembly. Everything clears though when it's all tightened down.

Here are close ups of the bracket I'm making. With all the couplers tightened up the IC is held in there pretty good but I need at least one good solid mount to hold up to the beating these things take. I went to the hardware store and got some 1/8th
    inch thick steel by 1" wide. Heated it up with a propane torch, bent it to get the general angle, and then marked the ends and started cutting. This bracket is going to be held in place by the bolt that goes up through the intake brace and into the intake. It requires a longer bolt and little washer/spacer because the bottom of the intake brace is not flat.

The bracket isn't done yet. I plan on rounding the edges and having it powder coated along with the charge pipe and valve cover to prevent rusting.

If I decide this steel bracket isn't enough then I will add another to the underside of the intercooler where the second mounting hole is.

Todd

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Nice work Todd!!!

Results coming soon?
    I hope so, but it depends how fast I can get everything powder coated. This intercooler really is awesome because you can see how nicely I'm able to secure it in there with a fairly simple bracket. You can also see the water inlet and outlet are in the perfect spots to hook up the stock waterlines! I don't think I'll even have to lengthen them. Lucked out on that.

Todd

Banned User
    +1
    oooo, I want to flow that! Good job!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information