Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Regulator location

While reading dome old threads I noticed someone asked what I was wondering but no one answered. Has anyone had problems with their regulator going bad after moving it for an aftermarket air intake? On the Riva Power filter set up, you mount it near the battery. If you keep the black air tubes attached that come down from underneath the seat like I did, you end up having to clip it on the other side of the clip since the rectifier is in the way. Stock, the regulator sits on top of the air intake supplying it with moving air. If you were to clip the black air intake tube in the normal spot it would sit right on top of the regulator. If you ever injested water down the black tube, it would dump right on the regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    While reading dome old threads I noticed someone asked what I was wondering but no one answered. Has anyone had problems with their regulator going bad after moving it for an aftermarket air intake? On the Riva Power filter set up, you mount it near the battery. If you keep the black air tubes attached that come down from underneath the seat like I did, you end up having to clip it on the other side of the clip since the rectifier is in the way. Stock, the regulator sits on top of the air intake supplying it with moving air. If you were to clip the black air intake tube in the normal spot it would sit right on top of the regulator. If you ever injested water down the black tube, it would dump right on the regulator.
    If anybody here can tell me why the Doo Gods have cooling fins in the Rectifier that your talking about is a wise man. Anybody here knows what a cooling fins look like is a better man. Anybody here that alter the function of the said design is a .................. Yes, most of my friends that have ignore this simple design, have seen my tow rope and my gracious sexy rear end, including a legendary Offshore Endurance Legend The cooling fins was there for a reason .... Jammer 1

Banned User
    +1
    The rectifier is normally mounted with the fins in the airflow of the intake tube, therefore cooling it...But with it turned upside down (compared to stock) with the fins UP, mounted near the intake vent tube, you will get the desired coolign needed...

The unit can take a littl ebit of water, just not get soaked and swim in water

Rectifier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 021.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	126744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 043.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	126745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 051.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	953.3 KB 
ID:	126746  

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The rectifier is normally mounted with the fins in the airflow of the intake tube, therefore cooling it...But with it turned upside down (compared to stock) with the fins UP, mounted near the intake vent tube, you will get the desired coolign needed...

Danny, I am confused. Your comparing a little bit to a full blown supercharger sucking air constant air moving? am I missing anything?

The rectifier unit is the one on the top left hand side. just FYI newb

Actually with the exception of the plug, the whole unit is sealed, It's epoxied. The electronic board is inside. The fins stick out and the bottom is still sealed. are we talking about the same part.

Banned User
    +1
    Yes, we are still talking about the same part

When it is in its OEM location, there is airflow over it to cool it...Moving it elsewhere, like the relocation bracket from Riva, will reduce that cooling.

BUT...as long as the cooling fins can still function, and are not blocked/covered in any way, the unit will work fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    Actually with the exception of the plug, the whole unit is sealed, It's epoxied. The electronic board is inside. The fins stick out and the bottom is still sealed. are we talking about the same part.
    YUP....just don't put it in a location where it will be underwater if you take a good bath while riding

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    We would all benefit from hearing more members post their experiences with the rectifier... because in six years I have yet to hear of a single rectifier failure when mounted in the stock location, the altered Riva location, or just "laying in the bottom of the hull" location.

I'm not suggesting that it is wise to circumvent the design... I'm just saying, I've never heard of a single failure because it was!

Yes, we are still talking about the same part

When it is in its OEM location, there is airflow over it to cool it...Moving it elsewhere, like the relocation bracket from Riva, will reduce that cooling.

BUT...as long as the cooling fins can still function, and are not blocked/covered in any way, the unit will work fine...

YUP....just don't put it in a location where it will be underwater if you take a good bath while riding
    Danny, I think my first YouTube Video will be just this ....Now I have 3 threads to open up before I go bye bye to Green Hulk. Let's wait for all the Drama from the Hydro Drags go first then.....It's show time .....You think, I look good in "Apro"? how many amps are we talking about, so I can compensate with the formula of Beer that I have to take for less pain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information