Correct pistons for a Hurricane?

I am rebuilding the motor in my 96 Hurricane. I needed new std (81mm) pistons. I found 2 brand new ones on Ebay part #2200672. The box says PWC 700 81 mm std. Comparing them to the pistons out of my motor the only difference is the old pistons have a hole in the intake side wall of the piston whereas the new ones do not. Clearly these are early make pistons. Should I return these and get the correct part # 2200883?

What is the purpose of the hole in the side?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    It appears that the 2200672 is not a polaris part#. Couldn't find it w/ Pure parts lookup.
    The 2200883 has been substituted with part# 2201626
    The port window in the skirt of the piston should line up with a transfer port on the cylinder, and it was used to circulate fuel/air mix under the piston dome to help cool the piston. I've read about replacement pistons not having those windows. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

Check part #s here.

+1
    I have several of the 2200672 pistons,they all have the hole in the side.672 was the early style piston from what I have found( hasn,t been available from POlaris for a while)This piston came with standard steel rings.
    I think the reason Polaris had the hole,Was for cooling the piston,they were concerned with fuel back in 96,I guess the problem did not happen and they eliminated the hole in later designs.
    It' been a while,but I beleive the 883 piston did not have the hole but still had steel rings.
    I have the 626 piston also,it does not have the hole,but has chrome edge upper ring,every time they made a design change ,they changed the part #.

A reputable engine builder here, has said it doesn't make a difference,as long as all pistons are the same.
    As with all engine work,make sure to check your piston wash/fuel mixture.

thanks guys I guess I will use them. I only run 93 octane in the skis. Where can I read up on piston wash? Not familar with this term.

+1
    Go to Polaris Tech tips and info,there is a thread titled "piston wash"

Piston wash,is basically a way to properly adjust your carbs or verify it is running properly.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Go to Polaris Tech tips and info,there is a thread titled "piston wash"

Piston wash,is basically a way to properly adjust your carbs or verify it is running properly.
    Thanks, I found it.

Thread Information