got air?

Question Frustrated with 95 sl750 ignition system

i have a 95 sl750 i just finished a total overhaul on( last year it cought on fire)it was a dead short inside the box that burnt up the stator.i replaced the stator(known to work)got it off ebay and the coils(known to work).I just got it togather today and it cranks fine but i checked for spark there was none i pulled a boot off to check directly from wire, no spark on any of the 3 cylinders i followed manual procedurechecking the coils and and the stator.i was wondering if someone could fill me in on somthing i dont know or other tests i could try maybe test the cdi box? please enlighten me im very frustrated at this point&nbsp; thank you</P>

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Green Hulk Jumper!
    #1 check for no spark is to check battery volts WHILE cranking. Should have 10.5 volts minimum for spark. Any less than that will give no spark.

+1
    You can find the repair manual here.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'd also like to Welcome you to the Hulk.

First, is the lanyard installed?

Try disconnecting the kill switch from the circuit board and see if that helps.

Did you check the coils at the spark plug end of the wires? Try removing the sparkplug boots, cut the wires back about 1/4" to expose clean wire. Then rescrew the boots back on and zip tie them.

Are the spark plugs gapped to .028"?

Try what Star suggests ^^^^^^^^^^ and let us know what you find.

got air?
    Hey! nice to meet yall and thanks for the welcome.i have done all the simple things like checking the kill switch and the wire ends i have ohmed out the coils they are good its begining to look like i may have a bad stator if so im gonna be pissed as you probly know its alot of work to change the stator and i just spent all winter overhauling my whole ski with a broken collar bone lol.what im confused about is the manual is not too spicic about the ohm tollerences ( there is no variable) it should be490 ohms at the exciter coil, 90 ohmsat the pulser coil and 220 ohms at the trigger coil and my readings are as follows 422 ohms 82 ohms and 202 ohms so i dont know if that is in spec or not there has to bo some varibale.i got the stator used from a DEALER off of ebay. also i was thinking it could be the CDI box but there is no test in the book for that i know there has to be one?

+1
    The batt volts were ok while cranking? I would think it would fire with those resistances you measured. Did you ohm out the coils? They are in series and if one goes out you get no spark. Make sure your grounds are good and clean. With the positive cable pulled, check resistance from the neg cable at battery to the engine, and black terminal strip in the elect box. You should measure a dead short. You could also try to ground the box directly to the neg terminal on the battery and see if it will fire. If it will fire, you have a bad ground to the box which is fed from the stator.

+1
    They do say that specs will vary due to temp, that's about all.

I've never had one read what they spec out, but are usually pretty close.

I'd bet that the one you have would work.

There is no test for the CDI. You simply eliminate all other parts from the equation. If they all pass, then try a CDI with a known good one. Might want to see if someone will lend you one for testing.

got air?
    so if that is the case (a bad ground from the stator ) coulsd i just ground the box with a wire to the neg batt terminal??

+1
    I'd give it a shot and see what happens.

Thread Information