1995 SL750 trim motor operation question

After sitting for 4 years, I just finished doing a topend on the engine which included replacing all 3 cylinders that were scored, replaced the circuit board in the electrical box that had corroded and added a 3 outlet fuel pump.

My question is, since its been 4 years since it ran, should the trim motor operate the trim without the engine running? I'm waiting to break the engine in when we have some decent temps and I know we are out of the freezing danger. Right now if I push the trim button, nothing happens, but if I disconnect the orange wire off the circuit board which is also connected to the orange wire from the regulator-rect/cutoff and apply 12 volts, the trim will work. If the trim motor is suppose to work regardless if the engine is running or not, then I know the regulator-rec/cutoff is bad and its $120.00. If the trim is only suppose to work when the engine is running, then I know I'm good.

The regulator-rec/cutoff is bolted to the terminal board and has a red/purple, orange, and yellow wire coming from it. Thre red/purple is connected to the 12 volt supply, the yellow wire comes from the stator and the orange wire connects to the orange wire going to the trim button on the handlebars.

Also would it be a good idea to block off the oil pump and just mix oil in gas or is the pump pretty reliable? I know the 95 SL 750 has a variable output oil pump which varies the amount of oil according to throttle position. Also if a person was going to mix oil in the gas, what would be the correct mixing ratio 40-50 to 1?

Thanks,
    Rick

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the 1992-1998 Service Manual.

The Trim will only work when the engine is running, or the bilge button is pressed (if you have a bilge button).

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM250rm View Post
    After sitting for 4 years, I just finished doing a topend on the engine which included replacing all 3 cylinders that were scored, replaced the circuit board in the electrical box that had corroded and added a 3 outlet fuel pump.

My question is, since its been 4 years since it ran, should the trim motor operate the trim without the engine running? I'm waiting to break the engine in when we have some decent temps and I know we are out of the freezing danger. Right now if I push the trim button, nothing happens, but if I disconnect the orange wire off the circuit board which is also connected to the orange wire from the regulator-rect/cutoff and apply 12 volts, the trim will work. If the trim motor is suppose to work regardless if the engine is running or not, then I know the regulator-rec/cutoff is bad and its $120.00. If the trim is only suppose to work when the engine is running, then I know I'm good.

The regulator-rec/cutoff is bolted to the terminal board and has a red/purple, orange, and yellow wire coming from it. Thre red/purple is connected to the 12 volt supply, the yellow wire comes from the stator and the orange wire connects to the orange wire going to the trim button on the handlebars.

Also would it be a good idea to block off the oil pump and just mix oil in gas or is the pump pretty reliable? I know the 95 SL 750 has a variable output oil pump which varies the amount of oil according to throttle position. Also if a person was going to mix oil in the gas, what would be the correct mixing ratio 40-50 to 1?

Thanks,
    Rick
    The trim only works when engine is running. The orange is only powered up when running. The yellow triggers the lr to regulate and put pwr on the orange when running.
    I'm not gunna get into the premix debate, but if you are breaking in new hone job, you need to add a few oz of oil to the fuel tank in addition to the oil injection to get near 32:1. If you block off 40:1 normally or 32:1 for break in.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Looks like they got you covered. ^^^^^^^.

Thanks for all your help.

Broke in the new topend and it ran SWEET and the trim works like a charm when running.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Rick

Thread Information