REEDS please help

I need some knowledge on reeds and reed stuffers, I pulled the carbs on one of my 98 gp1200's to rebuild before I put them back I stuck my fingers in the intake to feel the reeds, turns out the middle cylinder is missing one side of the reed. I'm guessing that the flaps on either side are the reed stuffers and the reed is the assembly that they screw onto.

Please explain or direct me. Also what should I buy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by asia517 View Post
    I need some knowledge on reeds and reed stuffers, I pulled the carbs on one of my 98 gp1200's to rebuild before I put them back I stuck my fingers in the intake to feel the reeds, turns out the middle cylinder is missing one side of the reed. I'm guessing that the flaps on either side are the reed stuffers and the reed is the assembly that they screw onto.

Please explain or direct me. Also what should I buy?

I have not had any real gains if your looking for top in with stuffers. If you like more mid range...I feel IMO they work ok. In terms of reeds:

If you have stock reeds that could be REAL bad because it's SS and will get sucked up in the engine and do some damage. IF you have aftermarket CF reeds...it likely go ate up somewhere and was shot out the exhuast. You can order just the pedals if you got aftermarket and or even stock. Go aheah and take off the intake and decide...you want stock performance or do you want to try some aftermarkets? VF3's are the latest and come with the spacer already installed. If you go older...you will need a spacer plate

M

Thanks for the lesson, I'm getting the boysen 131r's from rxppete118 and will prob get something else also since I have 2 gp's

Thread Information