Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Unbelievable!!!!

For me, if something can go wrong, it usually does. Well I bought my ski with the understanding that the carbs needed rebuilt as it would not run unless you poured gas in the carbs. The entire time I am thinking this is a 98 with only 35 hours on it, how can the carbs need rebuilt???

Well today I started by pulling them off and they looked absolutly new!!!! I mean everything was shiney, no visible grudge/sludge anywhere. I cracked one open and found the same thing. I went back to the ski and was checking out the lines. Pulse line was like new, fuel lines had a slight green tint to them on the ends but nothing major. When I took the fuel lines off I marked them as rear and middle so far as where they went back on. In tracing the lines I found that someone had hooked the return line up to the inlet side, and feed line up to the return. I stuck the carbs back on, hooked all lines and cables back up the way they should be. Drained gas tank and put fresh gas in. Dumped a little gas in carbs to get lines primed and all is good!!! It is running fine off the tank now, no carb rebuild needed!!!! These things just don't happen to me!!!!!!

On another subject, I found my air filter box to be empty. Am I correct in assuming there should be at least some sort of filter in there if not also a flame arrester type screen? I did a search on ebay and found no filter listing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    At the risk of repeating myself, welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the Service Manual, and also a link to the Parts manuals, and Polaris online parts cross reference.

Unlike a land vehicle, PWC engines have a flame arrestor, not an air filter. Sometimes the flame arrestor looks like a metal mesh air filter, other times it looks like a flat metal plate with lots of holes.

The Parts guides will show you what it looks like, and where it is supposed to be located.

Since someone who doesn't know what they are doing was messing with your Polaris, I suggest you take the time to check everything. You never know what else they may have messed with, removed, or forgot to connect back correctly.

Make sure the fuel tank venting is correct, and that every fuel line is as it should be.

Check that the carb adjustments are set according to spec.

Also a good idea to review the wiring inside the electrical box, and make sure the wires go where they should. Trace the Tan overheat wire to make sure it actually goes to the temp sensor.

And that the bilge pump actually runs when the engine is running.

Go through the Maintenance and Winterizing sections of the service manual, and familiarize yourself with the details of your particular model.

+1
    You have directed me to the manual three or 4 times now. I understand from experiance a lot of guys never research on their own, but trust me, I am not one of them. The manual shows
    Filter, Intake Silencer

#14 is what I am missing, it looks like a regular rectangular air filter in the diagram, and I can not find it available anywhere. I was hoping someone may know where to get it, or someone that has gone to individual flame arresters may have their old one.

I found that the fuel lines were reversed from the manual. and I did go ahead and check all the other lines. I am a newby to Polaris, but not jet skis. I swear I don't mean to irratate anybody with my questions, but some things I am not finding in the manuals available to me.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    ...that is what I am missing, it looks like a regular rectangular air filter in the diagram, and I can not find it available anywhere.

I was hoping someone may know where to get it, or someone that has gone to individual flame arresters may have their old one...
    No offense intended

Part number 7080596, item 14 in the diagram (FILTER,INTAKE SILENCER).
    Used on 1996-1999 two cylinder engines, SL, SLT, SLTH.

Try emailing John Zigler (Green Hulk member), he has a wide array of Polaris PWC parts. There are also a few guys parting out Polaris in the Classifieds.

It does appear to no longer be available from Polaris as a replacement part

+1
    Thanks man, I just emailed John, but so far I am 0 for 3 in trying to get stuff from him!!!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That is a lucky break.

If John doesn't have what you need, try Beach Blonde for parts. Or check the classifieds for what you may need.

Sometimes posting a Wanted To Buy helps. THe parts will come to you.

+1
    Thanks man, I just emailed John, but so far I am 0 for 3 in trying to get stuff from him!!!!
    i have a filter for you 10.00 shipped in the lower US.
    what year and model of ski is this ???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    i have a filter for you 10.00 shipped in the lower us.
    What kind of ski is this ???
    98 SLTH 700. How do you want me to pay, PayPal instant cash transfer maybe?

+1
    98 SLTH 700. How do you want me to pay, PayPal instant cash transfer maybe?
    Paypal is GOOD

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

fuel line

replace all the grey fuel lie on that ski pronto if it hasn't been done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information