Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Setting timing!!!!

I just want to be 100% sure i get this right. I ordered the crank locking tool.

1) lock cam with drill bit and install rockers
    2) lock crank with crank locking tool with #3 at TDC.
    3) install timing chain. Is there a certian way the chain goes on?

now i got this motor already apart and its hard to tell what parts go where. can anyone tell me what parts are in the timing, like guides tensioners ect ect and maybe what the parts i need look like???? I have a box full of parts and i have know idea what goes where? My goal now is toget the head on and set the timing. I have new head bolts and head gasket on order. I also have a 1in long squar brass piece with a point on one end anyone now what that is?

Don't you have a service manual? How are you going to get the torque settings? If you don't have a manual, you can look at the parts breakdown on the Order OEM Parts link... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    I just want to be 100% sure i get this right. I ordered the crank locking tool.

1) lock cam with drill bit and install rockers
    2) lock crank with crank locking tool with #3 at TDC.
    3) install timing chain. Is there a certian way the chain goes on?

now i got this motor already apart and its hard to tell what parts go where. can anyone tell me what parts are in the timing, like guides tensioners ect ect and may what the parts i need look like???? I have a box full of parts and i have know idea what goes where? My goal now is toget the head on and set the timing. I have new head bolts and head gasket on order. I also have a 1in long squar brass piece with a point on one end anyone now what that is?

Oh god! I remember my first rebuild on a 68 GTO. I had some extra bolts and nuts when I was done...............................

+1
    King
    yes i do have the manual with all the torque settings. It hard to make out what all the peices look like mainly the timing chain guide tensioner.

Sea goat
    ive been there many times, Righ now i have a new dodge that got hit so we striped it down to a bear frame and cab to replace it. You should see the bolt box LOL.

Ok, glad you have the manual. I downloaded all I could get when the site was up in case you needed it. It's just a pain to split it and email it... Ron

+1
    tks for the offer... Heres a pic of the mystery parts. The top washers i think are for starter and the big one i think is the thrust washer. what are the other parts for???

+1
    The big washer with the flats on it is the washer that goes in the plastic piece that attaches to the cam gear. The piece 2nd in from the left is the cam guide tensioner. Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum0286 View Post
    The big washer with the flats on it is the washer that goes in the plastic piece that attaches to the cam gear. The piece 2nd in from the left is the cam guide tensioner. Hope this helps.
    Tk's that does help alot...

+1
    Now that I look a little closer those 3 other washers look like the starter shaft washers. Are the 2 bigger ones similar to spring washers? If so they are definitely the starter shaft washers and the smaller flat one also goes with them. There is a certain way to put them on you have to look in the manuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum0286 View Post
    Now that I look a little closer those 3 other washers look like the starter shaft washers. Are the 2 bigger ones similar to spring washers? If so they are definitely the starter shaft washers and the smaller flat one also goes with them. There is a certain way to put them on you have to look in the manuel.
    Ya i think they are the spring washers, cant see in the pic but there not flat does that sound right? Now i just need to fing out the other two parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information