+1

Lost Steering Yesterday

Well, it started out right. I was changing the oil in the ski and decided to adjust the steering cause I was tired of running with the handle bars cocked to the left a little bit. Checked my cell phone and realized I had never turned it on (I turn it off when I go to bed). So I turned it on and it beeped, letting me know I had a message. It was a friend letting me know that he and 2 others were heading for the water and did I want to go. The message was 2 minutes old. I tried to call him back and no answer so I left a message that I was inbound. Long story short, I forgot to tighten the lock nuts on the adjusting collars. Realized this with the ski and trailer in the water so I pulled it back out and tightened the nuts down and apparently () didn't tighten the bolt and locknut that holds the cable to the pump (thought I did). I knew they were heading for the ocean which was a good 6-8 mile ride down the New River so I opened it up and headed due east. Made it 5 miles before the steering came apart . Of course, this was when the wind started kicking up and the chop got real heavy.
    Ever tried to steer with your foot on an 11 foot ski? After 1 mile I decided to try going faster and low and behold, I discovered I could steer with weight shift around 25 mph. Lean hard right and the ski will turn left etc. Any faster and the ski would slowly steer to the right. Needless to say, I stopped at lowes and now have an emergency hardware kit for the ski. Oh yeah. My buddies showed up as I was loading my ski on the trailer. They were towing a 20 footer in to the dock and didn't look too happy. Guess their day was shot too. Another story to add to my long list of f**k ups.

Yipee !
    Now that's a good one !

My sister and I did a 100 miler on Friday, nothing eventful though.

smokewagon,

+1
    Let me know for the next trip. I'm ready to go. Salt water sucks. Is she prettier then you?

Bummer!! But we are always learning!!

+1
    Like the saying says: "Good Judgement comes from Wisdom and Wisdom comes from Bad Judgement". LOL, I'm full of wisdom.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Like the saying says: "Good Judgement comes from Wisdom and Wisdom comes from Bad Judgement". LOL, I'm full of wisdom.
    There's another old saying(and I should know) "There's good luck, and there's bad luck, and if you did'nt have bad luck you'd have no luck at all"
    At least you were'nt stranded and your safe, and that's some good luck.

OBJ

Thread Information