supercharger failure and lost drive gear, is this common?

Hello Everyone,
    Im new to the forums. I bought my RXP new in 04 and have left it stock and trusted my dealership to properly maintain my craft. Big mistake I should have been more informed. I have had the supercharger failure recently and really wish I would have know about this site a couple of weeks ago. I want to say that of all the forums I am a member on this seems to be one of the most informative I have seen. Everyone is very helpful Now on to my problem. Ive pulled the motor from the craft and begun the cleaning process. Ive had to find all the pieces of my drive gear as well. I hear most people saying they have lost the washers but no talk of this gear breaking apart. Is this ususual? In the top of the pic you can see the 7 or so pieces that used to be the gear. Ive also noticed chips in the flywheel teeth so im going to replace the flywheel as well, and the oil pumps are comming apart this week so I can see what damage they have. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

What's the history on the ski? If the gear just came off after an SC service, my guess is that the tech didn't use red Loctite. If I was you, I would replace the timing chain and check the oil pumps for damage. Don't forget to save your receipts for next years income tax - definately a casuality loss... Ron

I bought the ski new and have had zero problems with it. I just take it in for the standard maintenance at the local seadoo dealership where I bought it. It currently has about 120 hrs on it. I havent had it in for service at all yet this year so I doubt they have ever had the supercharger out or checked it. I was wondering about the timing chain I just really didnt want to go that far with the tear down if I didnt have too. But yes, Im taking the oil pumps apart this week to check for any damage.

+1
    Jake Welcome to the hulk..

I would also check out the flywheel - there are two rows of gears - one for the starter and one for the SC. Maybe the SC lost a bearing... Ron

The sc drive gear broke into 4 pieces on mine when the sc failed.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Jake!

Sorry to hear about your failure. I have seen quite a few 04-05 gears let loose like yours has. The supercharger on these machines needs to be rebuilt every 100 hours. Pity your dealer didn't tell you this. The upgraded supercharger rebuild kits come with a much better clutch system as well as a thicker gear.

You will also want to inspect your timing chain very carefully. I'll be real surprised if it isn't knicked or kinked in some way. If it is you must replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Welcome to the forum Jake!

Sorry to hear about your failure. I have seen quite a few 04-05 gears let loose like yours has. The supercharger on these machines needs to be rebuilt every 100 hours. Pity your dealer didn't tell you this. The upgraded supercharger rebuild kits come with a much better clutch system as well as a thicker gear.

You will also want to inspect your timing chain very carefully. I'll be real surprised if it isn't knicked or kinked in some way. If it is you must replace it.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just replace the timing chain to be on the safe side. I think Im going to send the supercharger to you to have it rebuilt.

+1
    Sounds good Jake, thank you. I will do you a good job!

Thread Information