Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Help for new PWC user

    Ok, here is the story. I picked up a Polaris Genesis 3 weeks ago from a service shop who had of most of the winter for some work. Took it to the lake, launched it, rode it, and then tied it up in the slip. At the end of the day, put it on the floating dock, out of the water, and left. Went back yesterday and it is sitting in the water, obviously way too low in the water. I pull the seat, and the bilge is flooded. I used a wet/dry vac to get the water out, and get to a point where I realize it is coming in almost as fast as I can get it out. I get out enough to get it back on the dock, and get the rest of the water out. Realize that both drain plugs are not in. (Yeah, I know). So, I let it sit overnight to dry some, hit the starter, and it turns over about 1-3 times, then quits, like a dead battery, but I'm thinking it's the starter that is fried. Any ideas, and also what I might expect for the rest of, if any, problems? I guess the ski was sitting as low as it could and still float, thank goodness. The motor did not run while it was wet, so I don't think any water was ingested into the motor.
    Thanks


  2. #2
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,930
    +1
    1,407
    Welcome to the Hulk..


    My guess is the engine is full of water. Remove the spark plugs and crank it over till all water is extracted. Keep us posted on your findings.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    Welcome to the Hulk.

    Click here for Service Manual and other useful info.

    The Service manual includes information on what to do with a water logged (hydrolock) engine.

    Be aware that cranking an engine with water inside can crack pistons and bent connecting rods. It is possible your engine has suffered internal damage. Also, the steel roller bearings in the crank case can begin to rust fairly quickly, so you want to get the moisture out ASAP.

    If you have water in the engine, the key is to get it out quickly, and get the motor running enough that the heat can dry it out internally. Don't run it out of the water for more than 15 seconds or so.

    As beerdart says, crank it with the spark plugs removed. If water shoots out, then keep cranking until there isn't much left. This could drain the battery, so be prepared to recharge the battery.

    Is this engine fuel injected, or carburetors?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

    Click here for Service Manual and other useful info.

    The Service manual includes information on what to do with a water logged (hydrolock) engine.

    Be aware that cranking an engine with water inside can crack pistons and bent connecting rods. It is possible your engine has suffered internal damage. Also, the steel roller bearings in the crank case can begin to rust fairly quickly, so you want to get the moisture out ASAP.

    If you have water in the engine, the key is to get it out quickly, and get the motor running enough that the heat can dry it out internally. Don't run it out of the water for more than 15 seconds or so.

    As beerdart says, crank it with the spark plugs removed. If water shoots out, then keep cranking until there isn't much left. This could drain the battery, so be prepared to recharge the battery.

    Is this engine fuel injected, or carburetors?
    Thanks for the replies so fast. I had to leave the ski at the lake, out of the water (I didn't have the trailer with me). I can't get back to it until Friday, whcn I plan on pulling the plugs, cranking it, and seeing if any water comes out. I'm in my early 50's and have have boats since I was 16, from 16 feet to my last one that was a 37' cruiser, so I feel pretty comfortable around boats and motors, just not really familiar with skis.

    I am hoping for the best with this one. I live in Phoenix, so maybe the dry air will help a little. I am upset with myself on this, because I know as well as anyone that the last thing you check when putting a boat in the water is to check the plug, but it has been so long since I have had a boat that needed to have the drain plug taken out that I forgot.

    Truth is, I'm not sure if it is carbureted or FI. I kind of inherited the boat as is. I thought when I picked it up from the mechanic it was ready to just launch and go.

    I truly appreciate your help on this. With the economy the way it is, the last thing I need is to sink a couple of thousand in this ski.
    Steve

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by slarson1us View Post
    ...I am upset with myself on this, because I know as well as anyone that the last thing you check when putting a boat in the water is to check the plug...
    You might consider installing a pair of these;
    SeaDoo part number 292001075 (Drain Plug Ass'y)

    I think your Genesis has a single bilge siphon - there is a similar SeaDoo drain fitting without the siphon nipple you can use on the other side.

    The nice thing is that these SeaDoo drains incorporate a check ball, so even if you leave the captive plug loose, very little water gets into the hull

    We have all forgotten about drain plugs at one time or another. Sometimes you catch it early, sometimes you don't...

    The SeaDoo plus take a lot of the downside out of the equation

    What year is your Genesis?
    Last edited by K447; 07-02-2009 at 12:16 PM.

  6. #6
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Welcome to the Hulk slarson.

  7. #7

    Size wrency

    Can somebody help me with the correct spark plug wrench size so I can have it with me when I go to the ski? I'm starting to feel a little sick about this.
    Thanks,Steve

  8. #8
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by slarson1us View Post
    Can somebody help me with the correct spark plug wrench size so I can have it with me when I go to the ski?
    I'm starting to feel a little sick about this...
    Take some spare fresh spark plugs with you. I would also suggest taking a spare/new battery, and a multi-meter.

    For the carburetor Genesis, the spark plug is NGK BR9ES, 13/16" (20.6mm) Hex Size socket

    The spark plugs for the fuel injected Genesis engine are different, more expensive, and sometimes harder to find locally;
    NGK PZFR6H

    Write down the HIN number from the rear deck (that will tell us what year your Genesis is). The carb engines have the spark plugs sticking straight up from the enter of the head, while the fuel injected engines have the spark plugs angled low near the air intake.

    Chin up!

    Lots of us have gone through similar learning curves with our own personal watercraft!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yamaha 2009 FZR SHO need help with new PWC Please HELP
    By nosleepfzzzzzz4sho in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2015, 01:06 AM
  2. Security questions for new pwc?
    By southernmaryland in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. Help with new PWC... 2000 GTx vs. VRX/VRS
    By ecarnell in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM
  4. Need help for new purchase
    By boostedblast in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 03:26 PM
  5. little help for new guy
    By Hydrotherapy in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •