Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Higher than stock boost? Read this

Are you guys clamping ALL your vaccum lines? If not it could be a recipie for disaster if you blow one off under boost and the MAP sensor starts reading incorrect. It could lean your motor out and add timing and that is not good

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Are you guys clamping ALL your vaccum lines? If not it could be a recipie for disaster if you blow one off under boost and the MAP sensor starts reading incorrect. It could lean your motor out and add timing and that is not good

No MAP sensers on the SHO motor. No worrie about going lean. Only temp and pressure sensers on the manifold.

MAP= Manifold, Absolute, Pressure. It has a MAP sensor.

your right....for some reason i read "map" but was thinking "maf"

If one of these blow off the engine shuts down....no questions asked you will not hurt your engine it will just turn off....I accedentally pulled the one going to my bov at idle and the engine shut down instantly....

+1
    I saw the same thing as Allstar and agree that the engine will shut down before any damage occurs.

Matt

I hate to tell you guys but idle isnt the same as WOT. Any engine will die or idle eratticaly with a major vaccum leak. Rev your motor to 5000rpms under a load (traveling) and then pull the hose off and tell me what happens. Rev it to 3000 out of the water then pull it off and see if it dies while you are holdin the throttle. Even at WOT the motor may eventuall die down and shut off, but by the time the ECU figures something is amiss it could be too late. I have seen it time and time again. Thats ok though dont listen to me just save the $20 in clamps. Peace!

+1
    If you had a vacuum line come loose under close to or near full throttle wouldn't you instantly lose performance due to bleeding off pressure to a point that you could tell right away? I have a buddy with a Whipple 03 Cobra and if he blows a vacuum line off the car will instantly fall on it's face and lose throttle response. We'll have to pull off and inevitably will find a loose vacuum line. Not doubting your experience, just asking for clarification based on my own experience.

Thanks,
    Todd

Right! Tell him to datalog it. It cuts fuel/AKA leans it out like a mug, and adds timing thinking it doesnt have as much boost as it really does that is why is falls on it face, not enough fuel. On a Mass Air setup it isnt as bad because the MAF still shows the ECU that air is going in at X rate to simplify what I mean. On a MAP sensor only setup the ECU relies on the MAP to add/cut or timing fuel based on the bars it sees. IF you blow a vaccum line you wont lose a ton of boost especially the higher the boost level, but if any of the lines blown off t to the MAP sensor you ar in trouble faster than you can react. Many a motor has met its death that exact way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information