Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lets discuss intake grates

I have run over a lot of posts where people talk about the worx grate hooking up better than the riva in chop, yet it seems most people prefer the riva. Can anyone clear this up?

I ride a lot of smaller, heavy populated lakes so a lot of times it is very choppy but sometime I go out during the weeks just so I get flat water. Just trying to figure out which grate I should be going after.

+1
    For all around use, go with the worx. The riva is faster by a very small margin and gets better fuel economy but it's hookup is terrible in chop. The worx hangs down below the tunnel entrance an inch or 2 so it will still scoop water when the hull is up. This also helps it carve turns better and can be felt when trim the VTS up and down. Skoepp did a very informative back to back test of all 3 aftermarket grates plus a modified stocker. The stocker was the fastest but was missing both wings and part of the center scoop. The worx (was in his opinion) the best by a wide margin and was downright incredible in chop. I run an R&D and while it's fuel economy is excellent and top speed acceptable, it cavitates during the holeshot and that is where the X ski's shine so I will be getting a worx too.

How much speed difference is there between the worx and Riva? I am shooting for the 75 mph club this summer.

I guess what your saying is in any amount of chop I will be faster with the worx then I would be with the riva due to better hook up anyways, the Riva would just be able to be a little bit faster on smooth water? Does the riva still have better hook up than a stocker? I know that there are times when I am riding on relatively smooth water(for me atleast) I just can not get it to keep from breaking loose when there are other boats around causing any type of wake.

+1
    Let me try to find skoepp's posts. I remember that the worx was .7 mph faster then the R&D. I think the riva was only .5 mph faster then worx but I'm not sure. The fastest was the modded stocker. But yeah, in a chop the worx is said to be better by a wide margin then any other grate plus it affects the handling of the ski in a positive manner. I know you're thinking WTF does that mean and only skoepp can answer it.

+1
    Read skoepp's thread labeled "Tested new mod's with results". Go to page 91 and read post #910. This is his grate test. Skoepp, I hope you don't mind.

I guess it is not something to complain about but I am wondering about the whole fuel economy aspect. I mean I know you have to pay to play and from a guy who gets 8mpg in a diesel truck I practice it often, But holy hell these things already suck fuel hard. I can easily spend $80 on the lake everyday I ride. Am I really going to be able to see the bars move that much faster with the worx? Maybe I am just going to have to back out of the throttle a little more often.

+1
    The stock unmodded grate gets the worst fuel economy. They're all an improvement over stock. The worx just doesn't improve it as much as the riva or R&D. Get the worx and you will be happy. I just noticed you have an RXP. Not sure if the data carries over to the RXP's from an X boat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    The stock unmodded grate gets the worst fuel economy. They're all an improvement over stock. The worx just doesn't improve it as much as the riva or R&D. Get the worx and you will be happy. I just noticed you have an RXP. Not sure if the data carries over to the RXP's from an X boat.
    I'm not so sure he is talking about the X boats...

Ed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post
    I'm not so sure he is talking about the X boats...

Ed
    That's why I went back and edited my post.

+1
    Careful with the RIVA grate......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information