Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

FZR Engages in Battle

In preparation for the upcoming closed course races in Parker, AZ for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the National Tour, I got my first try with my boat at the DJSA race in Oakley, CA. This was my 3rd time on the boat. I have 5.1 hours. The only mod I have is the R&D Sponsons. I raced my stock boat in a open class. Some of the other boats were:

- Kawasaki 12F Limited
    - GPR 1300 Open
    - RXP Stage II
    - RXT Stock
    - RXT Stage I
    - GP 1200 Open (heavily modified)

It was nascar style start. I was in the middle of the pack to start in the 1st heat and finished 2nd. In the second heat I got to start up front with the GP1200 who was walking away from boats in the first race of the year a few weeks back. I finished 1st in the 2nd heat. In the 3rd and final heat I finished 2nd. That put me second overall. The GP1200 Open Boat took 1st overall. I had a bad start on the last heat...my boat hit some wakes and I was bouncing when the green flag dropped and the GP1200 was in flat water and got the holeshot.

I learned a few things. Since I raced the Honda's the last 2 years at the world finals (6th place and 2nd place), I realized that when you let off the throttle, you cannot steer the FZR. On the Honda I could steer with no throttle. My turning got better each race, but nowhere close to where I think I can be in about a month. The R&D sponsons do the job. Racing a new PWC with new sponsons takes some getting use to. I put the R&D sponsons on two days prior, so during the 3 lap practice was my first time turning with them on the FZR. I plan to get some more practice time before Parker to get my turns dialed in better.

I am going to race in the Pro-Am Stock class. Since there is no ride plate or intake grates available yet, my only mods will be those sponsons. Tim Bushman (owner of TBM Racing) was in attendance and spoke to me after the races. He said that he is working on a a steering system, adjustable ride plate and 12 point adjustable sponson. We plan to talk later this week about potentially testing some of their new designs on my boat. Ruis is also testing for them.

The www.skiclinic.com is working on a graphics kit and number plates for the FZR for me. We are working together on the design. They should have most of it done by Parker.

When I race, I always have a helmet cam. However, my camera was not mounting at the right angle so there is not any good footage. There are close to 500 pics of my FZR from the various photographers at the race. Here are a few from my GF.

The R&D sponsons

Leaving for the race

Practice

Some Action Shots

Why is he looking at me passing him on the holeshot...he is the one with the OPEN boat

To Be Continued...

Great results for a stock ski in open class
    Nice pics too!

+1
    Also nice to see an "OLD SCHOOL" boat running so well agaist all the new stuff out there. The GP1200 must have had some pipes on her!

M

+1
    Nice pics! Cant wait to see more

+1
    awesome photos look forward too seeing many more mate well done

cheers
    tony

p.s

How does it feel with the R&D sponsons on any better ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR N View Post
    How does it feel with the R&D sponsons on any better?
    Yes I believe it is a lot better with the R&D sponsons. They do not slide in the corners or sweepers. I am still getting used to turning with them as that race was my first time using those sponsons and only my 3rd time overall on the boat. But I can tell they hook well and the big butt does not want to slide out.

Half way thru your turn, if you give it good gas, the ski will whip around and turn on a dime. I just need to find the apex of the turn and when to start my turn and when to gas it to get that whip. The sponsons are definately up to the task.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Yes I believe it is a lot better with the R&D sponsons. They do not slide in the corners or sweepers. I am still getting used to turning with them as that race was my first time using those sponsons and only my 3rd time overall on the boat. But I can tell they hook well and the big butt does not want to slide out.

Half way thru your turn, if you give it good gas, the ski will whip around and turn on a dime. I just need to find the apex of the turn and when to start my turn and when to gas it to get that whip. The sponsons are definately up to the task.
    thanks carlos .. your ski looks tricked
    i have bought the worx sponson but havent fitted them as yet.

these ski turn hard and hook up as it is im sure its to be a lot better with after market sponson ... will add some pics when i add mine.

look forward too more pics of your race well done

+1
    Great job Carlos!! Looking forward to seeing you in Elsinore!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post

Any reason why You prefer R&D over RIVA sponsons?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pituco View Post
    Any reason why You prefer R&D over RIVA sponsons?
    I have not tried RIVA for this PWC. I used to use Jet Wings for my Honda, which are great sponsons. In determining which one to go with it came down to two things:

1) The RIVA sponson for the Yamaha (for whatever reason) is only 3 bolts long. If you look at the RIVA sponson for the RXP it is a lot longer. Why the shorter sponson?

2) I asked Chris MacClugage who owns a FZR and has a lot of seat time on the boat. I asked him what to do...and he said the R&D sponsons are the best for closed course. Since he has like 6 or 9 World Championships (probably the most accomplished runabout racer around)...I take what he says over any other review I have heard or read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information