Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Test!

First Test!

just got the 01 gp800r out on the water this weekend and it ran pretty well. but im still confused with some things. i had a friend on the back at one point and we ran a solid 60 mph. im 215 pounds and hes 225. but when i ran solo, it only ran 2 mph more even when i was playing with the nozzle angles. any suggestions on how to get the speed up? id like to get it up to around 70 if possible. i was considering SS impellar and free flow exhaust. any other suggestions without goin to serious? (milled head, compression, internal work, etc.)

+1
    Welcome to GH!

Buy a GPS - stock speedos are always off. Your not going to hit 70 on a gp800r without spending a bunch of money.

thanks! how much money are you talking about? id like to start off by doing simple bolt on mods. i do have a gps that i can use to record speeds. but where do i go from there? i run out of Ocean City and rough water is sometimes a problem but yet i still want speed out of it.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    someone correct me if I'm wrong i think a 800 runs like 57 in stock form so to get 70 out of it will cost you a ton of money.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    someone correct me if I'm wrong i think a 800 runs like 57 in stock form so to get 70 out of it will cost you a ton of money.
    so im guessing that my speedo is off quite a bit? or it really is running pretty well with 450 lbs on it? what would the basic mods do? (ride plate, nozzle, free flow, ss impellar, etc.) would i gain anything from that?

I would start with a FF Ride Plate from Jim, truing the hull, and removing the trim tabs. This will net you more speed. However it might not like chop as much anymore.

My thought is that if you want to go faster you are almost better off picking up a 1200r or 1300r.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    I would start with a FF Ride Plate from Jim, truing the hull, and removing the trim tabs. This will net you more speed. However it might not like chop as much anymore.

My thought is that if you want to go faster you are almost better off picking up a 1200r or 1300r.
    haha well thanks for the advice about the 1200r or 1300r i originally wanted one of those but my mom surprised me with this 800r as a graduation present. so im stuck with this haha im willing to dump money into this. i would just like to add some simple "basics" this season and then possibly getting into the guts of it over the winter. what does jims plate run as far as price? do i get a new plate or do i send my original stock one to him? ive heard plenty of amazing stories about his plates and i have my mind set on one.

+1
    your gonna need to send him a r&d plate and he will cut that but talk to him, he may have plates already done.

he's on here...jimsperformance

Get a R @ D intake grate while your at it too!. You might find a decent FF plate used for sale on here possibly have to check around..

what about for the free flow exhaust? i read in a previous post about just using 3" PVC for it which i can do myself. what all is there that i have to do to install a free flow? as well as other little easy mods to add on

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information