Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

99 GTX Charging question

1999 seadoo GTX limited

So, I got my feet wet this weekend. I put a new battery in, fired it up, and went for a spin. I noticed there was a lot of water in the hull (like 2-3 inches by the driveshaft), and it was warm, so I figured a hole in the exhaust somewhere. Friend and I spent the afternoon ripping out the ENTIRE exhaust (wow they pack a lot of shit in there), and found nothing. I then noticed that the crank vent line was not connected. That solved the water issue, but now I have a 12v low idiot light flashing. I was guessing that since all that water was splashing around, it may have entered the black box in the rear, but it looked ok. I tried to restart once the ski was back on the jet dock, and nothing. I even put another battery in there, and ran it again. Same light, so the battery is not the problem. I have not checked the voltage (ski running and not) to see if it was charging, I ran out of weekend. That will be the first thing I check Friday. I was wondering if could be the stator or MPEM? I pulled the fuses from the front MPEM and did a visual. They were not clearly burnt up, but I have yet to check them with a test light.

I also had the motor out a few weeks ago to put the plastic part of the oil pump back on (reverted from premix). Could I have forgot to attach something? Any info you guys might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

+1
    First thing to do is check the battery voltage then run the ski and see if the voltage increases. I get the 12V low for a minute or so after starting, as long as it goes away after running for a minute or two.

+1
    you should of just hooked it up to the hose and ran it while looking for a leak in the exhaust system, that would of saved you a ton of time and trouble.. I'd say while ripping the exhaust off & them back on you messed with a ground wire and it's not connected right, causing your starting prbs.

I don't know what the heck a crank vent line is but if it has anything to do with a crank there is no water in it. I bet your talking about the line that dumps water out the side/bottom of the cases to the rear of the ski and yes that does have water in it. there is a line that runs from the cases to the rave selinoid, it has no water in it thou.

TLR

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    First thing to do is check the battery voltage then run the ski and see if the voltage increases. I get the 12V low for a minute or so after starting, as long as it goes away after running for a minute or two.
    That's what we thought, so I rode it for about 10 minutes, and it was still flashing. When I got it back up on the jetdock and shut her down, it wouldn't start or even beep.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post

I don't know what the heck a crank vent line is but if it has anything to do with a crank there is no water in it. I bet your talking about the line that dumps water out the side/bottom of the cases to the rear of the ski and yes that does have water in it. there is a line that runs from the cases to the rave selinoid, it has no water in it thou.

TLR
    Correct. The line that takes water out of the case to the rear of the ski. When the line was not connected to the motor, it "back flushed" and filled the hull. This problem was present prior to us taking the exhaust apart, so I'm doubtful that it is a disconnected ground.

+1
    I still say it's a ground wire, exp if the hull was filled with water or it's the main elec box issue. lots of wires that don't like water, but hey don't take my advise

TLR

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    I still say it's a ground wire, exp if the hull was filled with water or it's the main elec box issue. lots of wires that don't like water, but hey don't take my advise

TLR
    Please don't get me wrong...I do not know everything about seadoos, that's why I'm here. I DO value everyone's opinion. The reason why I did not think of a ground issue, is because I purposely clean all connections prior to reconnection. I'm kinda anal when it comes to preventive maintenance ( I have the Navy to thank for that). I WILL check my ground wires on Friday morning. I think it would be an easy fix of it was a ground wire. My boy "Big J" says it could be a fuse in the rear e-box. We'll check that as well. Thanks again TLR for your input...

Any other info is greatly appreciated!

+1
    Well of course, it was not the fuse. Why would it be an easy fix...

I checked all my grounds, and all electrical connections for that matter. I replaced ALL the fuses, even though they all ohmed out ok. I looked at the ground wire, and the watertight connection at the battery was breached. I got a new connector, striped the wire, soldered it on ther, and that did not solve the problem. Makes me feel better that it is done right, but did not fix it. Then I got into the real troubleshooting...

When checked in series, the battery had a 7 amp constant draw without the DESS key. I checked the charging system IAW the tech manual, and no increase in voltage when running. I ohmed out the stator across all 3 coils, and it was ok. I then checked the stator for a ground, and found it. So, the stator has a short to ground. I'll be pulling the front cover this weekend. Question is: Is the stator fried, or could I have pinched a wire in there? We'll find out this weekend...

+1
    Or a piece of bendx/flywheel tooth is shorting it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Or a piece of bendx/flywheel tooth is shorting it.

Good call, didn't think of that one. Perhaps the wire could have been rubbing, lost it's insulation, and is now short to ground... Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information