Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question No trim, turns over without tether??????

I have a 96 SLX 780, I do not have it running yet, (waiting on starter) however it does not require the key/tether to turn over, and the trim does not work. Does the ski need to be running to use the trim? Is the switch bad, or is there something I should check, I have checked and replaced the small fuse in the electrical box, the large one was just fine, the wires appear undamaged.

Also, I just bought it this week (non running) is there anything I should check or keep an eye out for so I don't end up blowing a piston? They all have good compression now.

Thanks a lot for all your help
    Kory

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    I have a 96 SLX 780, I do not have it running yet, (waiting on starter) however it does not require the key/tether to turn over, and the trim does not work.

Does the ski need to be running to use the trim? Is the switch bad, or is there something I should check, I have checked and replaced the small fuse in the electrical box, the large one was just fine, the wires appear undamaged.

Also, I just bought it this week (non running) is there anything I should check or keep an eye out for so I don't end up blowing a piston? They all have good compression now.

Thanks a lot for all your help
    Kory
    It is normal for the starter to crank with the tether removed. I don't like it, but that is the way they are.

Trim only works when engine is running, or the bilge button is held on (if you have a bilge button).

The service manual describes a test procedure for the trim motor. Manual also describes how the trim is supposed to work, and what the fuses are for.

The usual advice is to replace all the fuel lines,, including any inside the fuel tank. Also clean and check the fuel selector valve, they can develop air leaks as they age. Fuel lines from the tank are under suction, not pressure, so a leak may not dribble fuel out, but can let air in - which is bad.

Carbs should normally be cleaned and rebuilt.

Check all hose, clamps, bolts, nuts, and lube everything that moves, with the appropriate lubricant.

If it turns over with out the tether, will it start without the tether, or just turn over? Where would I look for a bilge button?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    If it turns over with out the tether, will it start without the tether, or just turn over? Where would I look for a bilge button?
    It shouldn't start w/o the lanyard attached. (I guess they changed that in 97 as my 780 won't turn over w/o the lanyard, and my 95 will) The bilge switch is the blue button on top of the trim/start/stop switch.

nope that changed in 97 also my start button is located near my choke. I assume I do not have one then?

Also are these stock carbs or aftermarket (sorry kinda hard to tell in that pic)

+1
    I just looked at the schematic for your ride, and it doesn't have one. Sorry Bud. You could always upgrade. I usually upgrade everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3132.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	127099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3133.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	127100  

I'm just trying to get it back to good running order where everything works and flip it. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!

+1
    Oh, the flame arrestors were stock on the slx.
    Your welcome!

Last question, I see you have a "garden hose" hook up in your pic, I assume so you can run out of water, how/were do you hook that up?

i hate how it turns over without the tether. i will be sittin there tryin to start it for like 2 minutes and getting all worried that somethin is broken! haha then i realize it and it starts right up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information