Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hydrodrag spring national 2009 results

WATERTOP EVENT SEES FIRST 100+ MPH PWC SPEED RUN AT RIVA RACING HYDRODRAG

Melbourne, FL – April 20, 2009 – WaterTop Unlimited® and Julio Rivera made personal watercraft history at the company’s recent RIVA Racing HydroDrag Spring Nationals with Rivera achieving the first documented 100 plus mph speed run reaching a top speed of 100.5 mph. The record speed was achieved during the Hydro Unlimited Speed Alley event during this past weekend’s HydroDrag National in Fellsmere, Florida. The premier 1/8th mile HydroDrag’s saw incredible racing action and three repeat winners take the top spots.

The Speed Alley Hydro Unlimited event was highly anticipated as both Rivera and New Jersey’s Howard Letsche recorded 99 plus mph runs during Saturdays practice sessions in less than ideal, blustery conditions. Late in the practice session Letsche hit some unexpected chop at speed sending him into the water and his turbo Sea-Doo RXP in need of repair. The 36 year old Rivera of Puerto Rico, making his first ever trip to the US, posted Speed Alley event runs Sunday of 99.4 and 99.7 mph taking the event win over Leonardo Fernando – who filled in for the bruised Letsche – after he posted runs of 95.5 and 95.7 on his repaired watercraft. With the support of the large crowd, Rivera made one final exhibition run on his Amsoil sponsored, turbo powered 4-TEC conversion pwc and posted a top speed of 100.5 mph, recorded on a calibrated Stalker Radar Gun – officially deeming his run as the first documented PWC run besting the century mark.

“Riding this machine and setting that speed is absolutely exhilarating” said a smiling Rivera through his translator. “The competition is really tough, and these races get better every year. The speed and the adrenaline rush keep me coming back for more."

Dan O’Keefe of Osage Beach, MO repeated as the HydroDrag Spring National Unlimited champion backing up his 2008 spring performance on his newest JetDraft turbo Sea-Doo RXP watercraft. Rivera met O’Keefe in the Unlimited final, but was edged out by the defending champ as O’Keefe came off of the WaterTop Launch Pad clean and won by a narrow margin in the final. O’Keefe takes the lead in the premier HydroDrag Unlimited class in the 2009 series going into July’ s Summer National.

Stan Hightower, the two-time 2008 Fall National champion from Lindale, GA repeated his winning ways in the Hydro Stock drags beating Steve Sewell – both on Sea-Doo RXP-X watercraft. Hightower also took the Hydro Limited drags top spot bettering friend Jeff Dyckowski and took top spot in the Hydro Limited Speed Alley posting a top run of 77.7 mph.

Eric Lagopoulos was king of the Hydro Vintage classes claiming both the Speed Alley win with a run of 66.6 mph on his 1997 Sea-Doo SPX and also claiming the HydroDrag with a win over Albert Godriguez. Mitch Newlin of Cross Junction, VA set a blistering top speed in the Hydro Stock Speed Alley with a run of 78.2 mph on his Sea-Doo RXP-X watercraft.

“To see history happen at the HydroDrags is very special” said WaterTop event producer Tim McKercher. “The HydroDrags is a very exciting event structure and we are seeing things no one has seen or done before and it is only going to get better and more exciting. People are building PWC for this type of new activity and it is a heck-of-a lot of fun to be leading the way.
    Dan (O’Keefe), Stan (Hightower), and Eric (Lagopoulos) earned their wins.
    And hats off to Julio for making history with the first documented run over a 100 (mph).”

Full event coverage with results, news, photos, and video will be available for viewing on the new www.watertopevents.com website that will be launched on Thursday, April 23rd.

Also visit the following links to the Florida Today Newspaper for event articles.
    http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...18/1002/SPORTS
    http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...35/1002/SPORTS

The second round of the three event RIVA Racing HydroDrag Series will tentatively take place July 18-19 at an Alabama location TBD.

For more detailed results and information on the 2009 RIVA Racing HydroDrag Series and other Watertop Unlimited events visit www.watertopevents.com www.watertopunlimited.com or contact them directly at 321.409.0519 or [email protected].
    Last edited by systemerror; 04-21-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo

+1
    It was a fun weekend at the races for the fans as well. Congrats to all who participated! Good job to Watertop for holding another great event!

+1
    Alabama that is closer

Also can we get a class for the slow 3 seaters

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    I had a great time....long ride home though just got back about an hour ago......Thanks Tim...I will be contacting you shortly about the summer venue.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    80.3 on a stock class legal rxp.... i might as well give up racing the ultra

Thanks to Tim and his group of helpers who did an outstanding job running this event..
    I look forward to the next one..
    Ross

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    80.3 on a stock class legal rxp.... i might as well give up racing the ultra
    It wasn't 80 mph first, second, it had to be flat as a table to run that speed. and in race conditions the ultra would eat it (X)alive.

Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    It wasn't 80 mph first, second, it had to be flat as a table to run that speed. and in race conditions the ultra would eat it (X)alive.

We both know the conditions Sucked for us.It would have been close to 80 without 20mph wind in my face but 78.2 was not bad.

Well if your out front than you do have clean water.I guess we will see on the track.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcustoms View Post
    I had a great time....long ride home though just got back about an hour ago......Thanks Tim...I will be contacting you shortly about the summer venue.
    You did very good this weekend! Good job!

Hasslehoff finish

HydroDrag Spring Nationals

SeaDoo's Tim McKercher did a great job putting on this event with the quick flow of races and the awesome launch pad start. This was my first experience doing Hydro drag and I definitely will do future events. If you havent entered one of these I can tell you they are a blast. They move along fast and are so much fun to watch. My ski, built by Dean Charrier, Deans Team, did very well. I took 2nd place in Stock with a closed course buoy set up. Im definitely working with Dean to establish a speed set up for future Drag events so hopefully we can take #1 next time out. Watch out Stan, lol. Stan did an awesome job this weekend. Congrats! Deans son Dustin and I had a great time racing and we will be out there on the 2nd event to give everyone some good competition. Congrats to all involved. Great job Tim!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information