Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Red face 2005 GP1300R wont start (no spark) - Need help

Wasn't sure where to post this question, so I decided on this discussion area rather than the "general discussion" area (hope nobody gets upset).

BACKGROUND: I picked up a "complete" power package (ie. engine, harness, electricals, pump etc.) from someone locally and found a decent hull to put it all in. The power package came off a donor 2005 GP1300r which had broken hull (car hit it) and the guy said he pulled everything, but after getting it all in the new hull I discovered some missing items that I later had to purchase. The new hull is from a gp1200r which is the same mostly with some subtle differences, like missing brackets and such.

PROBLEM: After the assembly, I am unable to get the thing started even though the donor ski was running perfect before the stuff was pulled (only 37 hrs on it). I have a NO SPARK situation and I'm not mechanical enough to figure it out. there is fuel, and compression just no spark!

Here's what I've ruled out thus far:
    • Ground - I tested for continuity from engine to battery's neg and its good
    • Start, Stop & engine shut-off switches - checked for proper operation
    • Overturned switch (not sure of the name) - its the switch that turns off the ski if it flips over - I disconnected to cause a no-continuity condition which is what the ECM is looking for.
    Can someone please point me in the direction? I have a copy of the manual and there are several items it tells me to look at like: pickup coil, ignition coils, ecm etc.. But I am not sure how to check those so I'm reaching out to those pros out there that can shed some light on the situation for me based on their experience.

* one note worth mentioning: I have noticed that I'm missing the YPVS servo and I'm not sure if my ski should have this system or not, or if its even important in starting the ski?

+1
    welcome to the forum, somebody should help you shortly

hey ariel, welcome to the board!

can you post some pics of the wiring and install so we can have a better understanding on what`s going on? then the forum members can help troubleshoot what`s missing or incorrect...

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure your throttle cable at the throttle body has play in it, If it's to tight you will lose spark.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by arielsdv View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this question, so I decided on this discussion area rather than the "general discussion" area (hope nobody gets upset).

BACKGROUND: I picked up a "complete" power package (ie. engine, harness, electricals, pump etc.) from someone locally and found a decent hull to put it all in. The power package came off a donor 2005 GP1300r which had broken hull (car hit it) and the guy said he pulled everything, but after getting it all in the new hull I discovered some missing items that I later had to purchase. The new hull is from a gp1200r which is the same mostly with some subtle differences, like missing brackets and such.

PROBLEM: After the assembly, I am unable to get the thing started even though the donor ski was running perfect before the stuff was pulled (only 37 hrs on it). I have a NO SPARK situation and I'm not mechanical enough to figure it out. there is fuel, and compression just no spark!

Here's what I've ruled out thus far:
    • Ground - I tested for continuity from engine to battery's neg and its good
    • Start, Stop & engine shut-off switches - checked for proper operation
    • Overturned switch (not sure of the name) - its the switch that turns off the ski if it flips over - I disconnected to cause a no-continuity condition which is what the ECM is looking for.
    Can someone please point me in the direction? I have a copy of the manual and there are several items it tells me to look at like: pickup coil, ignition coils, ecm etc.. But I am not sure how to check those so I'm reaching out to those pros out there that can shed some light on the situation for me based on their experience.

* one note worth mentioning: I have noticed that I'm missing the YPVS servo and I'm not sure if my ski should have this system or not, or if its even important in starting the ski?

Check and make sure your water temp sensor is plugged in at the bottom of the stinger pipe by the water box coupler... It WILL cut spart of ots disconnected or damaged... The 05 doesnt have power valves so dont sweat the missing servo... Also check and make sure your throttle bodies are closed because if they are held open it will also cut spark....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Check and make sure your water temp sensor is plugged in at the bottom of the stinger pipe by the water box coupler... It WILL cut spart of ots disconnected or damaged... The 05 doesnt have power valves so dont sweat the missing servo... Also check and make sure your throttle bodies are closed because if they are held open it will also cut spark....

Wow! been about 10 mins since I posted and I get all these replies - this forum and you guys ROCK!! I really, really appreciate it ya'll. I will follow these few tips tomorrow, and try and take some pics for all of you to see.
    • I do have a connected water temp sensor, actually I have both temp sensors connected, not sure if they're bad though so I will read the manual and check with a meter.
    • I had no idea that the throttle cable could be at fault, so I will check for slack.
    • Thanks for the enlightening me to the fact that I am not supposed to have the YPVS on there. The manual was the one that mentioned it so I started to wonder
    I will post again tomorrow with results, but please keep 'em coming. Again, you guys ROCK!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by arielsdv View Post
    Wow! been about 10 mins since I posted and I get all these replies - this forum and you guys ROCK!! I really, really appreciate it ya'll. I will follow these few tips tomorrow, and try and take some pics for all of you to see.
    • I do have a connected water temp sensor, actually I have both temp sensors connected, not sure if they're bad though so I will read the manual and check with a meter.
    • I had no idea that the throttle cable could be at fault, so I will check for slack.
    • Thanks for the enlightening me to the fact that I am not supposed to have the YPVS on there. The manual was the one that mentioned it so I started to wonder
    I will post again tomorrow with results, but please keep 'em coming. Again, you guys ROCK!!

If my memory serves me correct (which is bad since its 4/20) a 2ohm resistor could be put in place of the water temp sensor on the stinger... The engine temp sensor(on cylinder), tilt switch, cat temp will all allow the ski to start when disconected... The water temp will not...

+1
    If my memory serves me correct (which is bad since its 4/20) a 2ohm resistor could be put in place of the water temp sensor on the stinger... The engine temp sensor(on cylinder), tilt switch, cat temp will all allow the ski to start when disconected... The water temp will not...

10k ohm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    10k ohm
    You win...

+1
    You win...
    no, no. not trying to win

you guys are doing a great job helping out

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information